Job offersmore »
- Product Manager Biostimulants - Westmaas, the Netherlands
- Corporate Grower - Camarillo (CA), USA
- General Manager China - Kunming, China
- Buyer greenhouse crops - Almeria, Spain
- Trucking Fleet Manager - Azerbaijan
- Fresh Produce Traders Required for a Leading Dutch/UK Fresh Produce Business
- Key Accountmanager Horticulture Glass
- Product & Applicatie Specialist Opkweek
- Assistant Grower - Canada
- Experienced International Buyer/Seller Germany
Top 5 - yesterday
- No news was published yesterday.
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
- Amazon: Steeper price cuts at Whole Foods Market
- Year-round produce for Canada’s most northern communities
- BILLA Online Shop: over 50% of the online shopping baskets contain fresh products
- Turkish tomato exports shot up 46% in October
- South Australia agricultural exports have increased due to new airlines
Exchange ratesmore »
Moving towards 12-month supply
Zespri extends SunGold season with kiwifruit from Italy
Zespri’s SunGold Kiwifruit is changing the category due to its sweeter taste and longer shelf life—and consumers can’t get enough. To meet strong consumer demand, Zespri is bringing in kiwifruit from Italy, where Zespri’s Italian SunGold-growers grow for taste and deliver on Zespri’s comprehensive system of quality standards.
“We’ve been reconfiguring our business structure and building our team to help our customers grow their business, and develop supply options to enable us to become a truly 12-month brand in North America,” explains Ben Hughes, general manager of the Americas. “Our kiwifruit from Italy allows us to extend the season past November as we aim to get closer and closer to a 12-month supply program. The New Zealand Kiwifruit season begins in May and runs through November. We are now able to supply consumers with SunGold Kiwifruit well into winter.”
The Italian SunGold Kiwifruit will be sold in Zespri’s identifiable “Cut. Scoop. Enjoy!” packaging with its clean, simple imagery and messaging that highlights Zespri Kiwifruit’s freshness and taste. Packaging options will continue to range from various weights of clamshells, bags, loose bulk and displays. “The SunGold Kiwifruit from Italy will be seamless in its delivery to consumers,” states Hughes. “They just need to look for the Zespri brand and packaging of SunGold. Our Italian SunGold growers achieve the same exceptional taste standards as our New Zealand growers, which ensures great consistency and quality for our customers and consumers.”
Zespri has a core team in Italy that works directly with the growers including dedicated technical and grower services teams to oversee growing practices. Obtaining fruit from Italy meets Zespri’s growth strategy to grow the kiwifruit category in North America by achieving a year-round supply. Although SunGold leads the growth strategy, Zespri’s goal is to supply a full range of fresh kiwi products including Green, Organic Green and Organic SunGold.
To support retailers, Zespri offers customized category programs and promotions through their regional market development managers. Customized programs are developed around each retailer’s specific needs due to their customers’ shopping patterns. In addition, Zespri launched strong consumer and retailer campaigns to support the SunGold variety. Retailers are encouraged to meet with their regional market development managers and utilize available point-of-purchase displays and other merchandising material that feature the “Celebrate the SunGold” consumer graphics to help promote SunGold Kiwifruit.
Tel: (818) 718-8084 ext. 212
Publication date: 11/1/2017
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: