Job offersmore »
- Senior Grower - Australia
- General Manager - Australia
- Purchasing Specialist Exoten - Netherlands
- Intercompany Key Account Manager Exoten - Netherlands
- Buitendienst Medewerker - Oost Nederland
- Managing Grower - Australia
- Senior Grower - Talbotville, Ontario, Canada
- Operations Manager - Fresh Produce
- Senior Account Manager Retail - Netherlands
- Supply Allocation and Inventory Manager - Fresh Produce, Italy
Top 5 - yesterday
- No news was published yesterday.
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
- Costa Rica: Government accused of ignoring organic pineapple issue
- Organic food consumption continues to increase in Europe
- Russian fruit and vegetable imports partially recovered
- Spain: About 20,000 tonnes of stone fruit damaged by frost in Murcia
- Research into potential of Feijoas to become Australia's next 'superfood'
Exchange ratesmore »
California kiwi growers are having a great season with new varieties
California Ag Today recently spoke with Nick Matteis, Assistant Manager for the Kiwifruit Administrative Committee, based in Sacramento, about the harvest.
“The crop looks great. We’ve got a good distribution of sizes, so we’re excited about that,” Matteis said.
They have some new gold varieties that are increasing in production, and they hope to double their harvest from last year.
“Most of the new varieties globally are some type of gold, but there some other colors out there,” Matteis explained.
Red kiwi fruit and new varieties that look quite interesting are on the rise.
“We have one grower that’s testing some red, but it’s very early. There is also a new variety called the Megakiwi, which is exactly how it sounds." Matteis said.
Matteis also spoke about California Grown’s new social media outreach program called Farm 2 Fan. Farm 2 Fan offers a spotlight for farmers whose produce have plenty of fans.
“We are right in the middle of a promotional campaign that we execute in partnership with Visit California,” he said. “This is a video series and digital marketing campaign that introduces farmers producing different crops from all around the state of California.”
Publication date: 11/1/2017
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: