Job offersmore »
- Product Manager Biostimulants - Westmaas, the Netherlands
- Corporate Grower - Camarillo (CA), USA
- General Manager China - Kunming, China
- Buyer greenhouse crops - Almeria, Spain
- Trucking Fleet Manager - Azerbaijan
- Fresh Produce Traders Required for a Leading Dutch/UK Fresh Produce Business
- Key Accountmanager Horticulture Glass
- Product & Applicatie Specialist Opkweek
- Assistant Grower - Canada
- Experienced International Buyer/Seller Germany
Top 5 - yesterday
- Excellent EU grape market – if only the grapes can get there
- Winter storm Benji dusts southern US and Mexico with rare snow
- Challenges and opportunities for Colombia's banana sector
- California growers set out to fully assess wildfire damage
- Morocco: Strawberry acreage grows from 10 to 3,660 hectares in 27 years
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
- Amazon: Steeper price cuts at Whole Foods Market
- Year-round produce for Canada’s most northern communities
- BILLA Online Shop: over 50% of the online shopping baskets contain fresh products
- South Australia agricultural exports have increased due to new airlines
- Turkish tomato exports shot up 46% in October
Exchange ratesmore »
Internal market fruit update
Brazil: Lower prices for Nanica bananasLast week all the producing regions of the Nanica banana registered a decline in quotations. Producers from Bom Jesus da Lapa (BA), Vale do Riberia (SP) and Northern Minas Gerais experienced a similar average selling price of around R$ 0.70 per kg. However, for example the state Santa Catarina traded this variety for only R$ 0.27 kg. This is the lowest weekly price since August this year, published HF Brasil. Producers in the Santa Catarina region say fruit is sold at lower prices while still being able to cover production costs. This scenario should be changed, as it might discourage producers to invest in production. They expect the lower prices to remain this week, with high supply and low demand in the domestic market.
HF is more positive about the apple situation in Brazil. It was reported that the prices are historic for the Gala apple category 1. In October apples were sold for an average of R$ 54.23/cx of 18kg in the region of Fraiburgo. However, the market needs to keep an eye on the end of year imports, which could hinder the increase of national apple prices. As some companies started importing from Portugal, France and Chile.
Last week was very good for the papaya market as well. According to HF Brasil papaya prices rose significantly in all producing areas, especially in the state of Espírito Santo. There is a drastic reduction in volume available in the west of Bahía. Other producing areas are expected to reduce volumes early November. It is written that despite the lower supply in the West of Bahía boosting the sales in other regions of Brazil, the Formosa still experienced some quality problems.
The Palmer mango from the region of Jaíba /Janaúba (MG) had its first price drop after a stable October month. The region is close to finalising the harvest and reducing its volumes. HF Brasil affirms it´s not the reduction in volumes, but the weak domestic market situation that affects the prices.
The recurring water crisis in the melon producing regions has affected the sizes of the melons. HF Brasil mentions that last week the volume of small sized melons were in the market. At the same time, lower prices were given for these smaller sizes. According to wholesalers, these small sized melons are less preferred by consumers. In addition, as sales may remain limited due to this week's national holiday of All Souls, prices may follow the same levels this week.
Publication date: 10/30/2017
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: