Job offersmore »
- Product Manager Biostimulants - Westmaas, the Netherlands
- Corporate Grower - Camarillo (CA), USA
- General Manager China - Kunming, China
- Buyer greenhouse crops - Almeria, Spain
- Trucking Fleet Manager - Azerbaijan
- Fresh Produce Traders Required for a Leading Dutch/UK Fresh Produce Business
- Key Accountmanager Horticulture Glass
- Product & Applicatie Specialist Opkweek
- Assistant Grower - Canada
- Experienced International Buyer/Seller Germany
Top 5 - yesterday
- Winter storm Benji dusts southern US and Mexico with rare snow
- Excellent EU grape market – if only the grapes can get there
- Challenges and opportunities for Colombia's banana sector
- Morocco: Strawberry acreage grows from 10 to 3,660 hectares in 27 years
- "As soon as I saw the Kiwano melon I thought - this is something special"
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
- Amazon: Steeper price cuts at Whole Foods Market
- Year-round produce for Canada’s most northern communities
- BILLA Online Shop: over 50% of the online shopping baskets contain fresh products
- Turkish tomato exports shot up 46% in October
- South Australia agricultural exports have increased due to new airlines
Exchange ratesmore »
Japan: A pair of high end persimmons fetch $4,750
A pair of high-end persimmons fetched ¥540,000 ($4,750) at the season’s first auction on Thursday.
The fruit harvested in central Japan and sold at a local wholesale market are of a cultivar developed by the Gifu Prefectural Government over 10 years and first put on sale last year, when a pair were sold for $2,855.
The variety is crispy, and has a sugar content of at least 18 percent compared to the around 16 percent of other products, according to a local agricultural cooperative.
Most of the fruit from this year’s harvest, including a persimmon with a sugar content of more than 25 percent, is being sold at a branch of the Matsuzakaya department store in Nagoya. A total of 2,000 of the premium persimmons are expected to be shipped by early November, with retail prices starting from $9.00 a piece.
High-end persimmons priced at more than $89.00 for a set of three will be sold in golden gift boxes.
“The weather was not very good this year, but farmers’ efforts made the persimmons very sweet,” an official of the agricultural cooperative said.
Publication date: 10/27/2017
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: