Job offersmore »
- Engineer support in agricultural sciences - Switzerland
- Farm Manager - Perth, Western Australia
- Expansion manager
- Horticultural Specialist - Emeryville (CA) USA
- Sales Manager Europe Division
- Grower - Delta, (OH) USA
- Export Sales - Perth, Australia
- Production Manager Indonesia - Magelang/Central Java, Indonesia
- Director ASIA Research Station Operations - Bangkok, Thailand
- Spécialiste Technique et commercial Biocontrôle pour l’Ouest de la France
Top 5 - yesterday
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
Japan: A pair of high end persimmons fetch $4,750
A pair of high-end persimmons fetched ¥540,000 ($4,750) at the season’s first auction on Thursday.
The fruit harvested in central Japan and sold at a local wholesale market are of a cultivar developed by the Gifu Prefectural Government over 10 years and first put on sale last year, when a pair were sold for $2,855.
The variety is crispy, and has a sugar content of at least 18 percent compared to the around 16 percent of other products, according to a local agricultural cooperative.
Most of the fruit from this year’s harvest, including a persimmon with a sugar content of more than 25 percent, is being sold at a branch of the Matsuzakaya department store in Nagoya. A total of 2,000 of the premium persimmons are expected to be shipped by early November, with retail prices starting from $9.00 a piece.
High-end persimmons priced at more than $89.00 for a set of three will be sold in golden gift boxes.
“The weather was not very good this year, but farmers’ efforts made the persimmons very sweet,” an official of the agricultural cooperative said.
Publication date: 10/27/2017
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: