- Grower - Australia
- Director of Marketing & Communications - Summerland (BC), Canada
- Lead Auditor
- Quality Assurance Team EA Region - Antwerp - Quality Assurance Supervisor
- General Manager Australia
- Einkaufskoordinator/in - Austria
- Chief plant protection agronomist
- Сhief agronomist
- Head of Sales for Mexico and Latin America
- Finance Manager for a Leading International Fresh Produce Business
Top 5 -yesterday
- New season smoothie "Winter Magic" coming to Madrid
- Citrus shipper launches limited edition label for Florida citrus
- Greenhouse grown strawberries with chocolate flavored dip at Fresh Summit
- New Zealand: Kiwifruit sales to boost horticulture exports
- Rewe: Nationwide introduction of reusable carrying nets on hand
Top 5 -last month
- South Africa: "The extent of farm attacks must be internationally recognized"
- Canadian cherry growers pitted against the elements after back-to-back dry summers
- Wireless temperature loggers working together with MAP system
- Zespri and TSLA create giant human pinball game
- "Lanzhou Market: Coriander becomes "king of price increase"
Top 5 -last week
"The expansion of kaki acreage has slowed down"
Start of kaki campaign in Huelva with plenty of medium calibres
"Although we usually start about three weeks later than Valencia, this year, due to the very high temperatures recorded during the summer, our harvest has been delayed by 7 to 10 days, as we've had to wait for the fruit's natural maturation in the tree," explains Carlos Esteve, from the commercial department of Onubafruit. "Huelva's climate is very similar to that of Valencia, even though our nights are somewhat milder. As a result, our kakis (of the same variety) have very similar organoleptic qualities," assures Carlos Esteve.
"As in Valencia, a lot of citrus has been replaced in Huelva by kakis and berries, with a remarkable growth of the production in the last 8 years. Now the expansion of the kaki acreage has slowed down, while a major varietal renewal has been carried out with citrus," he points out. At the same time, the cooperative is also introducing new products, such as pomegranates, for which it already has 40 hectares in Huelva, and avocados.
80% of Onubafruit's kaki production is exported, both to Europe and to more distant countries. "There is a lot of potential in Asian markets. We have been shipping both kakis and berries to Hong Kong for three years. There is still a lot of work to be done, and we hope to have the help of the Spanish authorities for the approval of export protocols with more countries, especially China," states Carlos Esteve.
For more information:
T: +34 959 540 844
Publication date :
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 10/18/2018 Australian mangoes tested by Dutch trade companies
- 10/17/2018 Peru exported more avos and mangoes in first eight months than in all of last year
- 10/17/2018 Peru: Important recovery of pineapple exports
- 10/17/2018 USDA appoints new board members to the National Mango Board
- 10/16/2018 Spain: Mangoes from July to December if the right varieties are planted
- 10/16/2018 Two new varieties in the EAT ME fresh kit range
- 10/12/2018 PapaMango, the Sicilian mango
- 10/12/2018 Bali: Ready to export dragon fruits
- 10/11/2018 ‘Avo prices have hit their peak, supply continues to skyrocket’
- 10/11/2018 Greece: “Our aim is to double our kiwi capacity”
- 10/10/2018 Turkey: Grower in Antalya switches from tomato and pepper to dragon fruit
- 10/10/2018 Vietnamese farmers victims of dragon fruit price drop
- 10/10/2018 Mexico: Mango exports to the US decline due to the rains
- 10/10/2018 Which demographics differentiate Hispanic avocado shoppers from Non-Hispanics?
- 10/09/2018 Chapaya - palm fruit with a meaty edge
- 10/09/2018 AU: Papaya growers experiencing record crop this spring
- 10/08/2018 Vietnam’s Central Highlands encouraged to expand avocado farming
- 10/05/2018 "Currently not much money to be made with pineapples and limes"
- 10/05/2018 Colombia: Hass avocados, Limes, and pineapples for Peru
- 10/05/2018 Thailand: New Zealand avocado season takes off