Job offersmore »
- Product Manager Biostimulants - Westmaas, the Netherlands
- Corporate Grower - Camarillo (CA), USA
- General Manager China - Kunming, China
- Buyer greenhouse crops - Almeria, Spain
- Trucking Fleet Manager - Azerbaijan
- Fresh Produce Traders Required for a Leading Dutch/UK Fresh Produce Business
- Key Accountmanager Horticulture Glass
- Product & Applicatie Specialist Opkweek
- Assistant Grower - Canada
- Experienced International Buyer/Seller Germany
Top 5 - yesterday
- Winter storm Benji dusts southern US and Mexico with rare snow
- Excellent EU grape market – if only the grapes can get there
- Challenges and opportunities for Colombia's banana sector
- Morocco: Strawberry acreage grows from 10 to 3,660 hectares in 27 years
- "As soon as I saw the Kiwano melon I thought - this is something special"
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
- Amazon: Steeper price cuts at Whole Foods Market
- Year-round produce for Canada’s most northern communities
- BILLA Online Shop: over 50% of the online shopping baskets contain fresh products
- Turkish tomato exports shot up 46% in October
- South Australia agricultural exports have increased due to new airlines
Exchange ratesmore »
Colortone - Dual tone colored netting now available
Sev-Rend packaging in Illinois is now offering two tone colored netting to their clients looking to spruce up their packaging solutions. While colored packaging itself is not new, the concept of customizing the colors used in various packaging materials expands on the idea of displaying fresh produce in a recognizable way.
Called 'Colortone', the product is available as part of Sev-Rend's Sof-Net category and features customizable colors depending on the grower's brand and produce colorization. "We are excited to be offering our customers the two tone color netting," said Jeff Watkin, of Sev-Rend. "The product was launched at the PMA Fresh Summit and was the culmination of several months of development that stemmed from queries from several of our clients."
"The product features a customizable dual tone netting that is designed to emulate different materials and textures of the produce," he continued. "It can be based on the equipment in use by the client and is compatible with all industry netted bagging machinery."
Citrus, onion and avocado growers see potential
Among the first clients were citrus, onion and avocado growers, many of which use netting for their packaging. However, in an increasingly visual market, these companies decided that the 'Colortone' netting will give them an edge. The various sizes and options available give additional scope for customization.
"Initially, we're getting a lot of enquiries from mainly citrus, onion and avocado grower packers," Watkin said. "They're easy to handle and there is not really any limits to the size they can be made to. The design is for a two tone color scheme."
Pouches ideal for extended shelf life
Another category that Watkin said is in high demand are produce pouches. Colors again are a factor of consideration for growers and they are also available in different shapes and sizes. One of the main draws for the pouches is the opportunity to extend the shelf life of the product with light blocking barriers.
"The pouches we design include the Clear-view, which allows customers to see the product through a transparent package," Watkin added. "The package offers product protecting barriers that will give the product a longer shelf life by blocking out harmful light. They're also available in different shapes, and with the eye catching colors and graphics available, are a growing market. Sev-Rend have been making these type of pouches for several years now."
For more information:
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: