- Grower - Australia
- Director of Marketing & Communications - Summerland (BC), Canada
- Lead Auditor
- Quality Assurance Team EA Region - Antwerp - Quality Assurance Supervisor
- General Manager Australia
- Einkaufskoordinator/in - Austria
- Chief plant protection agronomist
- Сhief agronomist
- Head of Sales for Mexico and Latin America
- Finance Manager for a Leading International Fresh Produce Business
Top 5 -yesterday
- Peru uses less than 10% of the land that is suitable for agriculture
- Rewe: Nationwide introduction of reusable carrying nets on hand
- Hong Kong: Typhoon Mangkhut hits airfreight volumes
- Candid conversation with National Organic Standards Board (NOSB) members
- The rise of vegan and veggie - 85% more sales compared to last year
Top 5 -last month
Top 5 -last week
Tim Jones - Wandin Valley Farms, Australia
"This year looks on par with one of our better years"
"We are a few days away," explains Tim Jones from Wandin Valley Farms. "The first cherry picked will be for the domestic market, it will be the Earlise variety. Then we hope to be harvesting the Royal Hazel variety by the end of next week, this will hopefully be for export."
Wandin Valley has orchards in Tasmania as well as in Victoria and Tim expects the season to go on until the end of January.
Alison and Tim Jones
"The fruit set this year is really good, we had a beautiful flowering period and, weather dependent, we expect a good run of quality fruit," said Tim. "This is a nice change from last year when the whole industry suffered from low volumes, this year looks on par with one of our better years."
Martin Sebire, Alison Jones, Tim Jones, Graeme Sebire and Eileen Sebire
Tim’s wife Alison is also heavily involved in the business. She has recently taken on the CEO role and also manages the packing facility. Alison’s father Graeme continues to work pretty much full-time within the business and this seasons cherry harvest will be his 63rd in a row from when he was first involved in the family farm. Graeme always shows a sense of pride knowing that his family has been growing cherries in Victoria since 1893!!
The main export volumes will go to South East Asia and the Middle East and Tim is hoping to get some cherries into the UK and Canada again this year. "We didn't make these markets last year because of the lack of volumes. The big news for our industry this year is that we gained back access into Vietnam. So we will hopefully have a very successful supply program for the whole of the Australian cherry industry. We are really pleased to have that market back after an absence of three years."
For more information:
Wandin Valley Farm
Tel: +61 3 59 644 669
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 10/18/2018 Russia: Grape imports on the rise this season
- 10/18/2018 Argentina once again celebrates “Blueberry Week”
- 10/18/2018 Innovative machine to select pears
- 10/15/2018 AC Foods chooses blueberry vision from Unitec for quality sorting of blueberries
- 10/15/2018 Australian summerfruit growers exporting to China receive extra funding
- 10/12/2018 Free fruit initiative Pick n Pay is a roaring success
- 10/12/2018 Growing focus on red grapes in Namibia
- 10/12/2018 AU: Projects underway in Northern NSW to increase berry growing efficiency
- 10/11/2018 The only organic stonefruit this time of the year comes from South Africa
- 10/11/2018 Argentinian blueberries just beginning imports
- 10/05/2018 Developments in apple production and trade in Turkey
- 10/05/2018 Moldovan apple production again expected to increase
- 10/05/2018 Sharp increase of Turkish apple exports to Russia and Belarus
- 10/05/2018 California grapes included in test kitchen seminar
- 10/05/2018 New Zealand avocado industry on track to bounce back from last year's low volume season
- 10/04/2018 Tomato production and increasing prices in Turkish market
- 10/04/2018 New pomegranate processing plant inaugurated in Southern Italy
- 10/04/2018 “There has only been a very short period where demand and supply was in balance"
- 10/04/2018 France: fruit and vegetable prices above the five year average
- 10/03/2018 Cosmic Crisp consumer launch campaign underway