Job offersmore »
- Product Manager Biostimulants - Westmaas, the Netherlands
- Corporate Grower - Camarillo (CA), USA
- General Manager China - Kunming, China
- Buyer greenhouse crops - Almeria, Spain
- Trucking Fleet Manager - Azerbaijan
- Fresh Produce Traders Required for a Leading Dutch/UK Fresh Produce Business
- Key Accountmanager Horticulture Glass
- Product & Applicatie Specialist Opkweek
- Assistant Grower - Canada
- Experienced International Buyer/Seller Germany
Top 5 - yesterday
- Nominees for the 2018 Fruit Logistica Innovation Awards are announced
- "We currently distribute 7,000 to 8,000 fruit baskets a week"
- Excessive temperatures worry Western Cape citrus farmers
- Ecuador: Banana prices are expected to be high at the beginning of 2018
- The new entry for the Crimson Snow family is the French Mesfruits
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
- Amazon: Steeper price cuts at Whole Foods Market
- Year-round produce for Canada’s most northern communities
- BILLA Online Shop: over 50% of the online shopping baskets contain fresh products
- South Australia agricultural exports have increased due to new airlines
- Turkish tomato exports shot up 46% in October
Exchange ratesmore »
Purchasing price dropped from last year
China: Rain delays harvesting of Mei County kiwis
"Mei County is located right on the border of north and south China, at the foot of the Taibai mountain in Qinling. It is considered one of China's and the world's best production regions for kiwis, with fertile soil, clean air, enough light, and rather large temperature differences. The harvest of Mei County kiwis starts annually in September, and continues until the end of October. This year's kiwi production is going well. The current market price is around 14 yuan per 500 gram, which is a drop of 0.70 yuan from last year," states Ms. Wang Yulian from Shaanxi Mei County standardized kiwi fields.
Freshly harvested Mei County kiwis
A standardized kiwi field in Mei County, Shaanxi
"There are two reasons why the purchasing price has dropped. Firstly, the heavy rain in September and October has delayed the harvesting time. That means that we have missed the best selling times, right before the National Holiday and Mid-Autumn Festival. If we do not want to miss the next peak seasons for kiwis, around New Year's Day and Chinese New Year, we have no choice but to put our freshly harvested kiwis in refrigerated storages. This will undoubtedly increase our operation costs. Secondly, if we put our kiwis directly into refrigerated storage after harvesting, we will only supply them to distributors and supermarkets all over China by the beginning of next year. Over this period of time, they can become damaged."
Production of Mei County kiwis
Mei County kiwi field
"Our 6 hectares (60 mu) standardized kiwi fields are located in Mei County, Shaanxi. We mainly grow green Xuxiang kiwis, and small quantities of green Qinmei kiwis. This year's production is similar to last year's. To guarantee our high quality, we cut off a part of the branches and sprouts in the germinating period, and pick some flowers and infected fruit in the blossoming time, so that we can control production and quality as best as we can."
High quality kiwis
"Currently, our kiwis are mainly purchased through salesmen. We have partnered with retail agents, who sell our kiwis through traditional sales channels and online to distributors and supermarkets in first and second tier cities, like Beijing, Shanghai and Hong Kong. Even though our online sales are only 5% of our total sales, this is only the beginning. We are hoping that interested e-commerce platforms will contact us to discuss business together."
Large and plump Mei County kiwis
"Through many years of hard work, and with the support of the local government, Mei County kiwis have become one of the most influential Chinese agricultural brands. Many Chinese and foreign radio stations and media have reported on us, making Mei County a high quality kiwi production area, and the only national kiwi distribution center. I am very confident about the future. We believe that, through using mutually profitable and diversified partnerships, our high quality kiwis will go very far."
Wang Yulian +86 187 9271 9118
Chen Ying (English) +86 178 0292 9874
Company: Shaanxi Mei County standardized kiwi fields
Publication date: 10/25/2017
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: