Job offersmore »
- Product Manager Biostimulants - Westmaas, the Netherlands
- Corporate Grower - Camarillo (CA), USA
- General Manager China - Kunming, China
- Buyer greenhouse crops - Almeria, Spain
- Trucking Fleet Manager - Azerbaijan
- Fresh Produce Traders Required for a Leading Dutch/UK Fresh Produce Business
- Key Accountmanager Horticulture Glass
- Product & Applicatie Specialist Opkweek
- Assistant Grower - Canada
- Experienced International Buyer/Seller Germany
Top 5 - yesterday
- Nominees for the 2018 Fruit Logistica Innovation Awards are announced
- "We currently distribute 7,000 to 8,000 fruit baskets a week"
- Excessive temperatures worry Western Cape citrus farmers
- Ecuador: Banana prices are expected to be high at the beginning of 2018
- The new entry for the Crimson Snow family is the French Mesfruits
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
- Amazon: Steeper price cuts at Whole Foods Market
- Year-round produce for Canada’s most northern communities
- BILLA Online Shop: over 50% of the online shopping baskets contain fresh products
- South Australia agricultural exports have increased due to new airlines
- Turkish tomato exports shot up 46% in October
Exchange ratesmore »
24 acres completed
Expansion of Mucci Farms Smuccies Sweet Strawberries
Mucci Farms announces the completion of Phase 2 of their 36-Acre strawberry farm expansion and subsequently announces that Phase 3 construction is underway with production to begin in the Fall of 2018. The full project will total 36-Acres, equivalent to over 1.5 million square feet of high tech glass exclusively growing strawberries—the largest in North America. "Our strawberry program is being met with a great deal of enthusiasm from current and potential retail partners because of our emphasis on premium flavour and consistent supply,” explains Danny Mucci, VP of Sales and Marketing.
Since partnering with Dutch Growers Ton Bastiaansen and Joost van Oers in January of 2016, Mucci Farms has seen accelerated growth and a greater demand for greenhouse grown strawberries. “Overwhelming, is the best way I can describe how our Smuccies are being received. Super sweet, clean, on the shelf within 24 hours of harvest and grown in an environment that is unaffected by inclement weather,” says Joe Spano, Vice President of Sales and Marketing. “Even better, they are grown locally in Ontario so that consumers can enjoy summer fresh strawberries during the holiday season.”
Marketed under the Smuccies™ Sweet Strawberries brand, Mucci Farms strawberries are an Award Winning triple threat, recognized by multiple industry associations for Best Packaging, Best New Fruit and Best Kid Centric product. The momentum continued this past weekend at the Product Marketing Association’s Fresh Summit Conference & Expo in New Orleans. After being a finalist for 3 consecutive years in the Sensory Experience Contest, Mucci Farms won the Kids Choice Award for their Smuccies™ Layered Strawberry & Mango Dip.
Phase Three of the expansion will include state of the art lit culture technology, allowing Mucci Farms to offer strawberries during the winter months locally grown using lit culture. A technology they are well experienced with, Mucci Farms owns over 200 acres of greenhouses, 30 of which are currently growing lettuce, tomatoes and cucumbers year-round.
Mucci Farms CEO Bert Mucci
“As with all of our new greenhouses, the new 24-acres of strawberries will also include the use of diffused glass which reduces stress on the plants by providing even sunlight,” says Bert Mucci, CEO at Mucci Farms. “We will continue to use high pressure fogging systems to cool down the greenhouse in the hotter months and also install the swing gutter system which allow for the amount of maximum plants per square meter.”
A ceremonial ribbon cutting to celebrate the first harvest from the Phase 2 expansion will take place at 684 Road 2 East, in Kingsville on Thursday October 26th at 10:30am.
The award-winning greenhouse grown Smuccies™ Sweet Strawberries are available in multiple pack styles and in-stores now.
For further information:
Tel: 519-326-8881 Ext. 1252
Publication date: 10/24/2017
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: