Job offersmore »
- Product Manager Biostimulants - Westmaas, the Netherlands
- Corporate Grower - Camarillo (CA), USA
- General Manager China - Kunming, China
- Buyer greenhouse crops - Almeria, Spain
- Trucking Fleet Manager - Azerbaijan
- Fresh Produce Traders Required for a Leading Dutch/UK Fresh Produce Business
- Key Accountmanager Horticulture Glass
- Product & Applicatie Specialist Opkweek
- Assistant Grower - Canada
- Experienced International Buyer/Seller Germany
Top 5 - yesterday
- Nominees for the 2018 Fruit Logistica Innovation Awards are announced
- "We currently distribute 7,000 to 8,000 fruit baskets a week"
- Excessive temperatures worry Western Cape citrus farmers
- Ecuador: Banana prices are expected to be high at the beginning of 2018
- The new entry for the Crimson Snow family is the French Mesfruits
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
- Amazon: Steeper price cuts at Whole Foods Market
- Year-round produce for Canada’s most northern communities
- BILLA Online Shop: over 50% of the online shopping baskets contain fresh products
- South Australia agricultural exports have increased due to new airlines
- Turkish tomato exports shot up 46% in October
Exchange ratesmore »
Despite high prices, consumption of Colombian mangosteen increases
This tropical fruit has a considerably high market price as it needs very specific climatic conditions to be cultivated and the plants only produce fruit every two years. In addition, "they must be transported by air, because their shelf life is very short and they wouldn't otherwise arrive in good conditions to the different destinations," stated Loukas Karapatouchas, from Hermes. The main consuming countries of Colombian mangosteen are the Netherlands, Germany, Belgium, France, the United States, and Canada. It is mainly exported to countries where consumers have a high purchasing level, because of its price.
Currently the fruit's price ranges between 6.00 and 6.50 dollars CIF from the Colombian airport from where the export is made. "Prices can increase by 0.50 to 4.00 dollars per kilo depending on the air freight destination." In the destination countries the fruit is "usually sold per unit or in 2 to 4 unit packages at very high prices, as a unit can be worth up to 5 dollars or more."
However, "as there is a growing trend for healthy eating habits in almost every country worldwide, consumption of mangosteen has increased year after year." Mangosteen is very attractive to new consumers who have healthy eating habits. In addition, the growth of the middle class and its economic improvement in countries like China, where it is well known but very expensive for the great majority of its inhabitants, has helped increase consumption levels."
For more information:
Telf.: +30 6986517189 // +30 22670 31763 // +56 311 682 0534
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: