Job offersmore »
- Horticultural Specialist - Emeryville (CA) USA
- Sales Manager Europe Division
- Grower - Delta, (OH) USA
- Export Sales - Perth, Australia
- Production Manager Indonesia - Magelang/Central Java, Indonesia
- Director ASIA Research Station Operations - Bangkok, Thailand
- Spécialiste Technique et commercial Biocontrôle pour l’Ouest de la France
- Technical sales Specialist North Europe - Benelux and Scandinavia
- Grower Manager - Tuakau, New Zealand
- Sales representative - (TN, KY, NC, SC and GA) USA
Top 5 - yesterday
- No news was published yesterday.
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
Despite high prices, consumption of Colombian mangosteen increases
This tropical fruit has a considerably high market price as it needs very specific climatic conditions to be cultivated and the plants only produce fruit every two years. In addition, "they must be transported by air, because their shelf life is very short and they wouldn't otherwise arrive in good conditions to the different destinations," stated Loukas Karapatouchas, from Hermes. The main consuming countries of Colombian mangosteen are the Netherlands, Germany, Belgium, France, the United States, and Canada. It is mainly exported to countries where consumers have a high purchasing level, because of its price.
Currently the fruit's price ranges between 6.00 and 6.50 dollars CIF from the Colombian airport from where the export is made. "Prices can increase by 0.50 to 4.00 dollars per kilo depending on the air freight destination." In the destination countries the fruit is "usually sold per unit or in 2 to 4 unit packages at very high prices, as a unit can be worth up to 5 dollars or more."
However, "as there is a growing trend for healthy eating habits in almost every country worldwide, consumption of mangosteen has increased year after year." Mangosteen is very attractive to new consumers who have healthy eating habits. In addition, the growth of the middle class and its economic improvement in countries like China, where it is well known but very expensive for the great majority of its inhabitants, has helped increase consumption levels."
For more information:
Telf.: +30 6986517189 // +30 22670 31763 // +56 311 682 0534
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: