Job offersmore »
- Growing Manager - Skye, Victoria
- Assistant Professor of Urban Horticultural Crops - United States (CA)
- Senior Inkoper - Maasdijk, Nederland
- Product Manager Biostimulants - Westmaas, the Netherlands
- Corporate Grower - Camarillo (CA), USA
- General Manager China - Kunming, China
- Buyer greenhouse crops - Almeria, Spain
- Trucking Fleet Manager - Azerbaijan
- Fresh Produce Traders Required for a Leading Dutch/UK Fresh Produce Business
- Key Accountmanager Horticulture Glass
Top 5 - yesterday
- No news was published yesterday.
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
China: Heavy rains affect Fuji apples
Since the beginning of October, strong "autumn" weather has continued in Northwest China. In most provinces and cities of the region, rainfall reached more than 200 mm. According to weather reports, the rains should end around October 23. Cloudy and rainy days, a lack of sunlight and low temperature have had a negative impact on Fuji apples. There are four main consequences:
1. Root hypoxia: Because of excess water, the soil became saturated. Roots didn't have enough oxygen and the absorption process was hampered.
2. Early leaf infections: Apple leaf spot disease is also the result of excess moisture - it dilutes the protective effect of fungicides and leaves start to wilt and fall.
3. Fruit surface rain erosion: Because of the prolonged ripening period, red Fuji apples have rain-impact erosions. From mid-July to the first week of August, the temperature was 30 degrees, which caused cracks on the apples' surface and made the fruits more vulnerable to infections
4. Flower bud differentiation. October is nutrient accumulation time for apple trees. Rainy and cloudy weather have greatly reduced leaf photosynthesis, which led to flower bud differentiation. The amount of "abnormal flowers" has increased. This will badly affect next year's apple vloumes and quality.
Source: Fruit Service Center
Publication date: 10/17/2017
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: