Job offersmore »
- Account-Manager - Wickede/Ruhr, Germany
- Grower for pot plant production - Tönisvorst - Germany
- Assistant Grower & Growers - Ohio, USA
- Fruit & vegetables Export-Import manager - Avignon or Perpignan, France
- Area Manager North Europe - Netherlands
- Area Sales Manager Oost Europa - Netherlands
- Benelux Sales Manager - Grow lights, Holland
- Productie Manager - Ethiopia
- Head of Sales Europe
- Engineer support in agricultural sciences - Switzerland
Top 5 - yesterday
Top 5 - last week
- Second season for Idaho's only commercial blueberry grower
- Walmart plans to sell Japanese supermarket unit Seiyu
- Greenyard under fire after listeria contamination
- AU: New fully recyclable packaging set to take fresh produce industry by storm
- NY cherry growers could harvest sweet profits with tall greenhouses
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
Planned greenhouses to help Dominica's recovery after Hurricane Maria
Dominica is on its way to recovering its agricultural sector after Hurricane Maria devastated the island on Sept. 19 with Category 5 forces.
Several international organisations — the Caribbean Agricultural Research and Development Institute, the Food and Agriculture Organisation of the United Nations and the Organisation of Eastern Caribbean States, OECS — along with the Dominica Ministry of Agriculture are working together to revitalise the island nation’s ability to grow its own food again.
Project organisers are setting up four greenhouse stations throughout the island to plant 200,000 seedlings that include lettuce, cucumber, kale, pepper, eggplant and pumpkin, among other fast-growing vegetables. Most plants will then be distributed to farmers. The growing station in Portsmouth will provide food for a hospital and a retirement home.
The team expects most of the vegetables to be harvested in four weeks. They hope to make the food production system “self-sufficient” by late December, feeding the island’s current population of 60,000.
Publication date: 10/16/2017
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: