Job offersmore »
- Senior Inkoper - Maasdijk, Nederland
- Product Manager Biostimulants - Westmaas, the Netherlands
- Corporate Grower - Camarillo (CA), USA
- General Manager China - Kunming, China
- Buyer greenhouse crops - Almeria, Spain
- Trucking Fleet Manager - Azerbaijan
- Fresh Produce Traders Required for a Leading Dutch/UK Fresh Produce Business
- Key Accountmanager Horticulture Glass
- Product & Applicatie Specialist Opkweek
- Assistant Grower - Canada
Top 5 - yesterday
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
- Amazon: Steeper price cuts at Whole Foods Market
- South Australia agricultural exports have increased due to new airlines
- Spain is the number one exporter of fresh fruit and vegetables globally
- AU: Strong cherry production helps drive Tasmania's agri-food growth
- Turkish tomato exports shot up 46% in October
Exchange ratesmore »
BestChoice works to make exotics more sustainable for the holiday season
The days are getting shorter and pumpkins are showing up everywhere, which means Christmas isnít far behind. As the festive season approaches, Exotic fruits also come to the forefront BestChoice tells.
"While people enjoy passionfruit, pomegranate, and papaya all year long, we also have some typical December hits. Sales of tamarillo, figs, carambola, baby pineapple, pitahaya (dragonfruit), and litchi double, and even sometimes quadruple, in the last month of the year."
BestChoice is trying to capitalise on this demand, but also working to make bringing in the tropical fruit more sustainable.
"Many consumers (still) donít know that our exotics have made quite a long journey before they wind up on the holiday menu. In signing the Sustainability Initiative Fruits and Vegetables (Sifav) 2020 covenant, an IDH initiative, Special Fruit is aiming to make the import of these fruits sustainable."
The company tells that the majority of their volume is now from sustainable production. They are also taking initiatives concerning packaging and testing different types of sustainable packaging.
For more information:
Tel: +32 3 317 0660
Publication date: 10/12/2017
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: