Job offersmore »
- Product Manager Biostimulants - Westmaas, the Netherlands
- Corporate Grower - Camarillo (CA), USA
- General Manager China - Kunming, China
- Buyer greenhouse crops - Almeria, Spain
- Trucking Fleet Manager - Azerbaijan
- Fresh Produce Traders Required for a Leading Dutch/UK Fresh Produce Business
- Key Accountmanager Horticulture Glass
- Product & Applicatie Specialist Opkweek
- Assistant Grower - Canada
- Experienced International Buyer/Seller Germany
Top 5 - yesterday
- Excellent EU grape market – if only the grapes can get there
- Winter storm Benji dusts southern US and Mexico with rare snow
- Challenges and opportunities for Colombia's banana sector
- California growers set out to fully assess wildfire damage
- Morocco: Strawberry acreage grows from 10 to 3,660 hectares in 27 years
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
- Amazon: Steeper price cuts at Whole Foods Market
- Year-round produce for Canada’s most northern communities
- BILLA Online Shop: over 50% of the online shopping baskets contain fresh products
- South Australia agricultural exports have increased due to new airlines
- Turkish tomato exports shot up 46% in October
Exchange ratesmore »
Inmaculada Torregrosa, manager of Frutas Inma:
Spain: "Our kaki shipments have doubled and consumption continues to grow""We started marketing kakis three weeks ago, and compared to the same period last year, we have doubled the volume shipped; and that with acceptable prices. In the next few days, prices will begin to drop as the volumes increase. What matters most is for sales and consumption to remain stable," explains Inmaculada Torregrosa, manager of Frutas Inma.
The Valencian company has been cultivating and marketing kakis for 15 years, and also pomegranates for another 3 years. In the spring and summer months, they are devoted to the marketing of stone fruit, and it will soon have avocados all year round.
"We have 110 hectares of our own for the production of kakis and another 40 hectares for pomegranates, but we also market the production of other associated producers, bringing the total volume to 1 million kilos of pomegranates and about 6 million kilos of kakis. These two products are supplied to the same customers via the same sales channels. We aim for a further annual volume growth of about 30% with these products," he explains.
According to Inmaculada, the consumption of kakis is increasing every year, as the product is becoming more popular because of its flavour and how easy it is to consume. "We believe it has a lot of potential, because the consumption per capita is still low compared to other fruits."
"Germany is our main market for the kakis, given that it is the largest consumer outside of Spain and its demand continues to grow every year. In addition to shipping to Germany and other European countries, we are immersed in a global internationalization project for the next five years, so we are already working with markets in Asia, North America, South America and also the Middle East, where I believe that consumption could really take off on the day that the current geopolitical conflicts are resolved," she explains. Our great hope is China, although we are waiting for the Spanish authorities to conduct a negotiation process for an export protocol that has yet to arrive," she added.
The pomegranate varieties that they sell are the Smith, Acco and Wonderful, which are intended to meet the demands and tastes of the export markets. "The pomegranate market is growing for the red-skinned varieties, so we refuse to cultivate other native varieties that have no room for growth overseas in order to work with these ones, which still have a great potential," points out Ernesto Machancoses, of the technical department of Frutas Inma.
Soon they will start the avocado campaign with uninterrupted supply all year round. "We have reached a series of strategic agreements with various suppliers from Spain, Peru, South Africa and Kenya, which will allow us to supply avocados during the 12 months of the year," announced Ernesto Machancoses.
After years of investment, research and development, Frutas Inma will be showcasing its range of fresh cut kakis at its stand in Fruit Attraction.
For more information:
Carrer de L’Olivera, S/N.
46291 Benimodo, Valencia. Spain.
T:+34 96 253 14 71
Publication date: 10/12/2017
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: