Job offersmore »
- Engineer support in agricultural sciences - Switzerland
- Farm Manager - Perth, Western Australia
- Expansion manager
- Horticultural Specialist - Emeryville (CA) USA
- Sales Manager Europe Division
- Grower - Delta, (OH) USA
- Export Sales - Perth, Australia
- Production Manager Indonesia - Magelang/Central Java, Indonesia
- Director ASIA Research Station Operations - Bangkok, Thailand
- Spécialiste Technique et commercial Biocontrôle pour l’Ouest de la France
Top 5 - yesterday
- No news was published yesterday.
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
Italy: White onions sell well abroad
The white onion market in Italy has hit a standstill while demand is livelier abroad. A leading operator from northern Italy explains that "Eastern European countries such as Poland and northern Europe are demanding white onions and paying well for them."
The produce exported has a good quality. We must also point out that white onions are not cultivated in northern and eastern Europe due to the soil and weather conditions. "Our problems will start if and when varieties that can be grown in these countries are selected. Our exports might drop."
As regards golden onions, the domestic market is at a standstill but sales are not very lively abroad either, as this type of onion is grown everywhere. "I believe the problem is overproduction. The processing industry can only absorb so much and doesn't pay a lot as it doesn't require high-quality produce."
In 2017, quality depends a lot on the area and producer. The weather and high temperatures during summer affected some batches. Some white onions still managed to achieve high yields and grades, but it depends on the area.
Publication date: 10/12/2017
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: