Job offersmore »
- Nursery Systems Manager - Australia
- Assistant Professor of Landscape Architecture - Davis (CA), USA
- Technical Sales Representative Trainee - Ancaster, Ontario
- International Account Manager City Farming - Horticulture LED Solutions
- CEO for a leading Agri-Business working on an international basis
- Greenhouse Operations Lead - Alberta, Canada
- Commercial Head Grower - Newark, NJ (USA)
- IPM & Pollination Specialist (ornamentals) - Western Europe
- Regional Sales Manager - USA
- General Manager Operations - Australia
Top 5 - yesterday
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
Hortgro to help support South African fruit farmers in difficult times
Hortgro, the support organisation for the South African deciduous fruit industry, is worried about the professional pressure that Western and Eastern Cape fruit producers currently face, and which is worsened by the relentless drought.
Hortgro Executive Director, Anton Rabe, says that "together as a fruit community we must do everything we can to help our producers cope with the pressures of the current situation."
"Not only are there difficult production challenges – where growers have to do more with less, but we also have to look at our constituents’ resilience. Some producers, their families, and agricultural workers are struggling and need assistance to cope."
Rabe said mental resilience is a complex and private affair and an organisation like Hortgro would not normally get involved in these matters - "but these are abnormal circumstances and we need to tackle challenges beyond our normal frame of reference."
Hortgro is currently investigating several support schemes and encourages all deciduous producers to keep themselves, their families and agricultural workers informed about mental health.
For more information:
Tel +27 21 870 2900
Publication date: 10/11/2017
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: