Job offersmore »
- Technical Sales Representative Trainee - Ancaster, Ontario
- International Account Manager City Farming - Horticulture LED Solutions
- CEO for a leading Agri-Business working on an international basis
- Greenhouse Operations Lead - Alberta, Canada
- Commercial Head Grower - Newark, NJ (USA)
- IPM & Pollination Specialist (ornamentals) - Western Europe
- Regional Sales Manager - USA
- General Manager Operations - Australia
- International Account manager Horticulture LED Solutions - Netherlands
- Plant Specialist Horticulture Northern Europe
Top 5 - yesterday
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
- Dominican Republic evaluates damage after Hurricane Maria
- Tanimura & Antle launches Artisan Dew Drop cabbage
- India: New packaging technologies for South America
- California company celebrates 10 years of attending PMA’s Fresh Summit
- "We hope the arrival of Spanish lemons will reactivate the market in Europe"
Exchange ratesmore »
Digital meters to reduce spread of banana disease in Queensland
Digital meters will eliminate the need for meter readers to enter Panama disease-infested properties, thereby reducing the likelihood of its spread across Northern Queensland.
The Queensland government has announced it is deploying Ergon Energy internet-connected meters in the state's northern region as a "significant" step towards helping local farmers minimise the spread of Panama disease, a fungus that affects the tissues of the banana plant.
Up to 600 meters will be installed in the Tully and Innisfail areas, where a majority of Australia's bananas are produced.
Due to Panama TR4 biosecurity concerns and strict quarantine measures, Ergon -- a subsidiary of government-owned power company Energy Queensland Limited -- made the decision to stop all entry of their contract meter readers onto farms and install digital meters that could be read remotely, Energy Minister Mark Bailey has said.
"Digital meters will avoid the need for meter readers to enter properties and therefore prevent the spread of the disease," the minister said in a statement.
Publication date: 10/9/2017
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: