Job offersmore »
- Purchasing Specialist Exoten - Netherlands
- Intercompany Key Account Manager Exoten - Netherlands
- Buitendienst Medewerker - Oost Nederland
- Managing Grower - Australia
- Senior Grower - Talbotville, Ontario, Canada
- Operations Manager - Fresh Produce
- Senior Account Manager Retail - Netherlands
- Supply Allocation and Inventory Manager - Fresh Produce, Italy
- Senior Grower - Katunga, Australia
- Key Account Manager - Netherlands
Top 5 - yesterday
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
- OVERVIEW GLOBAL AVOCADO MARKET
- Costa Rica: Government accused of ignoring organic pineapple issue
- Organic food consumption continues to increase in Europe
- California grape grower-shipper publishes first Corporate Social Responsibly Report
- Spain: About 20,000 tonnes of stone fruit damaged by frost in Murcia
Exchange ratesmore »
South African company capitalises on low-carb diets with vegetable pasta
From the Atkins diet, which peaked in late 2003, to banting, made popular in recent years by Professor Tim Noakes and, lately, the ketogenic diet (or keto for short), low-carbohydrate eating (typically light in products such as sugary foods, pasta and bread) have become increasingly popular worldwide.
Capitalising on this low-carb trend, South Africa's Dew Crisp recently introduced “pasta from veg” products and explained the thinking behind the move.
"We were extremely excited to have teamed up with food technology company, FormFoods, who holds worldwide patents on this exciting technology. It allows us to bring healthy vegetables into a completely new category in-store."
"The trend has been developing over many years and it took FormFoods almost 10 years to get these products market-ready and jointly it took us another two years to commercialise production. We saw the trend which is driving this launch in time and we reacted."
Publication date: 10/9/2017
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: