Job offersmore »
- Managing Grower - Australia
- Senior Grower - Talbotville, Ontario, Canada
- Operations Manager - Fresh Produce
- Senior Account Manager Retail - Netherlands
- Supply Allocation and Inventory Manager - Fresh Produce, Italy
- Senior Grower - Katunga, Australia
- Key Account Manager - Netherlands
- Accountmanager aardappelinkoop België / Frankrijk
- International Retail Manager - Netherlands
- Quality Assurance Team EA Region -Antwerp- Quality Supervisor, Belgium
Top 5 - yesterday
- No news was published yesterday.
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
- OVERVIEW GLOBAL AVOCADO MARKET
- Costa Rica: Government accused of ignoring organic pineapple issue
- Organic food consumption continues to increase in Europe
- California grape grower-shipper publishes first Corporate Social Responsibly Report
- Spain: About 20,000 tonnes of stone fruit damaged by frost in Murcia
Exchange ratesmore »
Spain: No improvements in potato campaignThis year's potato campaign has become more difficult than the forecasts indicated. A significant increase in both the acreage and the production of French potatoes has taken market share away from the Spanish. At the moment, "there are few customers to sell the production to and there are great volumes on the market, even though there is less than last year," explains Marco Martín, of Pamaral Patatas.
At the moment, approximately 40% of the campaign is still ahead and "prices are very low. In many cases, not even the harvesting costs are covered." In fact, the price at origin of a kilo of potatoes oscillates between 0.03 and 0.08 Euro; "nothing like the prices we got last year, which were high until the end of the campaign."
"I think that, as things stand, many potatoes are not going to be picked from the ground; it won't be worth it," adds Martín, who believes that new potatoes will also be affected by this situation.
For more information:
President of ASOPOCYL and manager of Pamaral Patatas
Tel.: +34 653904459
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: