- Sales Executive Fruit & Exotics - Rotterdam
- Product Manager / Concept Manager - Verspakketten - Ridderkerk
- District sales manager - British Columbia and Alberta, Canada
- Grower - Carlisle, Pa. USA
- Procurement manager-buyer
- Account Manager - Melbourne, Australia
- Grower - Australia
- Director of Marketing & Communications - Summerland (BC), Canada
- Lead Auditor
- Quality Assurance Team EA Region - Antwerp - Quality Assurance Supervisor
Top 5 -yesterday
Top 5 -last month
- Dominican Republic looks towards Russian tropical-fruit market
- Colombian woman arrested for coordinating shipments of cocaine hidden in fruit
- The Australian produce group providing finance for fellow farmers
- The 9th Regional Technical Conference on blueberries starts in Concordia
- Australian woman makes bizarre discovery in Coles spinach salad
Top 5 -last week
- AU: Scott Morrison reassures farmers that an "Ag Visa" is still on the cards
- APAL lays out industry strategy plan
- Kenya to export over 40 percent of avocados & other fresh produce to China
- New season smoothie "Winter Magic" coming to Madrid
- Romania imports 10 times more fruit and vegetables than it exported
Not just a pretty face
Young Dominican Republic entrepreneurs convert sugar cane land to pineapples
CaraLinda is the name of their family farm and Kisha and her brother started converting pasture land into pineapple two years ago by importing MD-2 pineapple slips from Costa Rica. They now have 125 hectares of pineapple and are exporting to the rest of the Caribbean, the US, Europe, and soon to Israel. They’ve also trademarked their pineapples with the Caralinda brand.
They are bullish on being able to market their pineapples as a premium product because they are sweeter as a result of the favorable sunlight regime and fertile soils of their area of the Dominican Republic. They are also able to guarantee this sweetness arrives at their final destination because of the large number of direct flights to Europe during the winter tourism season. They also have the advantage of shorter maritime routes to Europe compared to Central and South America.
Kisha Rodriquez and her brother are members of a recently formed Monte Plata Pineapple Producers Association composed of similar young professionals who are convinced that by working together they can develop a pineapple export industry with a year around supply of consistent quality and quantity.
The U.S. Department of Agriculture funded Exporting Quality Program is helping exporters such as Kisha certify their production as GlobalG.A.P. as well as upgrade their branding to market their pineapples in premium markets. The Program is also helping the Monte Plata Pineapple Producers Association strengthen their service delivery capacity to their members.
For more information:
Caralinda Agroindustrial S.R.L.
Tel: +1 829 986 8488
Publication date :
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 10/22/2018 Purchase price of Chinese pomegranates slightly lower than last year
- 10/22/2018 “More and more demand for prickly pears, but year-round supply is the biggest challenge”
- 10/22/2018 China: Large number of kiwifruits on the market nationwide
- 10/22/2018 Pomegranates from Azerbaijan allowed into EU
- 10/22/2018 Indonesia: First exports of pineapples and bananas to Singapore
- 10/22/2018 Sri Lanka contemplates future restrictions on fruit imports
- 10/22/2018 New dairy-free ice cream - made with persimmon
- 10/19/2018 Spain: Sale of stolen unripe avocados reported
- 10/19/2018 Philippines: Stronger promotion of indigenous exotic fruits
- 10/19/2018 Slower kiwi campaign compared to last year
- 10/19/2018 "Positive future for export of yellow passion fruit concentrated juice"
- 10/19/2018 India: Geographical Indication tag for Shahi litchi
- 10/19/2018 India urges US to lift ban on pomegranate arils import
- 10/19/2018 Australia: ‘extra flavoursome’ mango season
- 10/18/2018 Turkish producers switching from tomatoes and peppers to pitaya
- 10/18/2018 China: 10,000 tons of persimmons on the market at a high price
- 10/17/2018 New Zealand: Kiwifruit sales to boost horticulture exports
- 10/17/2018 Agrumi-Gel starts the pomegranate processing campaign
- 10/17/2018 Scientists to domesticate more varieties of Physalis through genetic editing
- 10/17/2018 ''Tropical fruit and mango season do not overlap too much''