Job offersmore »
- Nursery Systems Manager - Australia
- Assistant Professor of Landscape Architecture - Davis (CA), USA
- Technical Sales Representative Trainee - Ancaster, Ontario
- International Account Manager City Farming - Horticulture LED Solutions
- CEO for a leading Agri-Business working on an international basis
- Greenhouse Operations Lead - Alberta, Canada
- Commercial Head Grower - Newark, NJ (USA)
- IPM & Pollination Specialist (ornamentals) - Western Europe
- Regional Sales Manager - USA
- General Manager Operations - Australia
Top 5 - yesterday
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
US: Minnesota ranks ninth nationally in organic production and sales
Minnesota ranks ninth nationally in organic production and sales with double-digit growth that mirrors trends around the country
That makes the state a major player nationally, according to a new survey of certified organic farms done by the U.S. Department of Agriculture. The state was also among the leaders in organic corn and soybeans.
Minnesota reported 545 certified organic farms and more than 130,000 acres of organic farmland last year, making it ninth largest in the nation.
The survey data are important for several reasons, said Dan Lofthus, Minnesota state statistician for USDA's National Agricultural Statistics Service.
"These are important measures that help industry organisations demonstrate the impact of the industry and encourage support and funding of organic production programs," he said. The growth rates are also useful for government, extension and university scientists to determine research needs.
The data also help companies to plan production and marketing of new organic products, Lofthus said, and federal agencies to provide better insurance coverage for certified organic crops.
Nationally, U.S. farms and ranches produced and sold $7.6 billion in certified organic commodities in 2016, up 23 percent from the previous year. The number of organic farms in the country increased by 11 percent to 14,217 and the number of certified acres increased 15 percent to 5 million.
Publication date: 10/5/2017
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: