Job offersmore »
- Product Manager Biostimulants - Westmaas, the Netherlands
- Corporate Grower - Camarillo (CA), USA
- General Manager China - Kunming, China
- Buyer greenhouse crops - Almeria, Spain
- Trucking Fleet Manager - Azerbaijan
- Fresh Produce Traders Required for a Leading Dutch/UK Fresh Produce Business
- Key Accountmanager Horticulture Glass
- Product & Applicatie Specialist Opkweek
- Assistant Grower - Canada
- Experienced International Buyer/Seller Germany
Top 5 - yesterday
- No news was published yesterday.
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
- Amazon: Steeper price cuts at Whole Foods Market
- Year-round produce for Canada’s most northern communities
- BILLA Online Shop: over 50% of the online shopping baskets contain fresh products
- Turkish tomato exports shot up 46% in October
- South Australia agricultural exports have increased due to new airlines
Exchange ratesmore »
Broccoli and tropical fruit exports
Germany is a key trading partner for Ecuador
One of Ecuador's main trading partners is Germany. This link has been strengthened through bilateral trade, training, fairs involving Ecuadorian companies, and programs such as dual training, which bring benefits to students and companies.
This European power, which next Tuesday, October 2, 2017 celebrates Unity Day, is a destination for Ecuadorian products such as bananas, coffee, cocoa, among others. In addition, it is a market that looks for organic products and with certifications that guarantee an added value.
There, the possibilities are great for broccoli, organic panela, tropical fruits, etc.
Wilfried Meinlschmidt, president of the German Ecuadorian Chamber of Commerce, said that his country "is the champion in terms of machinery. We do whatever is needed and that should be taken advantage of by the Ecuadorian industry, "he said.
Daniel Legarda, president of the Ecuadorian Federation of Exporters (Fedexpor), explained that Germany is one of the three main partners of Ecuador in the European Union (EU) bloc, along with Spain and the Netherlands. "It's a very attractive market."
Legarda described the European power as a market that has a pronounced tendency in consumption trends. As an example, he mentions the subject of certifications that this country demands. In reviewing those quality labels, Legarda said, it is easy to see that it is a market with specific niches, which opens opportunities for Ecuador to explore with different products.
Ecuadorian foods are what stand out most to Germans. Bananas, coffee and cocoa are the most demanded items in that country since 70% of non-oil sales are concentrated in these countries.
Jimmy Terán, owner of Exporganic, a company that has exported bananas since 2004 to European countries, said that the German market has particularities that demand higher quality. "It is a market where much more importance is given to the care of the environment in the processes of production, and of labor justice," he said.
Data from the Central Bank of Ecuador show that the total trade balance is favorable to the country.
Pro Ecuador has a list of 19 star products, meaning they have opportunities for growth and long-term profitability.
He also says there are products with potential, but with a dilemma: "they are products that occupy a position in the market that covers a small part, but compete in a high growth industry," says the study. Agricultural products such as pineapple are in this category.
Source: El comercio
Publication date: 10/4/2017
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: