Job offersmore »
- Hydroponic Crop Manager - Tahiti
- Manager Operational Excellence - El Salvador
- Area Manager North Europe - The Netherlands
- Senior Veredelaar Bloemen
- Consultant - Head of Sales or Greenhouse Owner
- Consultant - Head Grower of Greenhouse
- IPM Manager - Mona (Utah) USA
- Labor Manager - Mona (Utah) USA
- Assistant Farm Manager - Australia
- New Product Development Assistant Manager
Top 5 - yesterday
- No news was published yesterday.
Top 5 - last week
- Kenya overtakes South Africa to become Africa's biggest exporter of avocados
- Italy: 150 million euros confiscated from fruit and veg Mafiosi
- “Drop in Turkish lira is making us a lot more money”
- “We recognize the different specifications our customers are looking for”
- California labor shortage drives container growing for berries
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
Pakistan Fruit & Vegetable Exporters, Importers & Merchants Association (PFVA)
Pakistan: PFVA names new chairman
Aslam Pakhali has been elected as the new chairman of the Pakistan Fruit & Vegetable Exporters, Importers & Merchants Association (PFVA) - the only outfit in the fresh fruits and vegetables sector registered by the Directorate General of Trade Organizations (DGTO). DGTO is working as an attached department of the Ministry of Commerce for the Government of Pakistan. It will achieve all the objectives set by our Patron-in-Chief Waheed Ahmed.
As the new chair, Pakhali’s top agenda is to explore other export destinations across the world, something he hopes to achieve through an aggressive marketing strategy. “Together with my team, I plan to develop an aggressive plan to market our fruits and vegetables in other potential markets across the continents where we have not been able to reach in the past,” he said.
Being the person in charge of ensuring Pakistan’s fruits and vegetables retain their place in the international markets, top on Pakhali’s plans is also to priorititise R&D. “R&D will be given a higher priority to ensure our survival in the highly competitive international markets. Substantial investment is required for R&D and thus all efforts will be made to convince the government on the importance and significance of establishing R&D labs in major cities for us to remain competitive in these markets,” he added.
Given the crucial role PFVA plays in Pakistan’s vegetable and fruits export sector, the new chairman plans to put more emphasis on quality, food safety measures, enhancement of shelf life and the reduction in cost of production.
“As the chairman of PFVA, I hope to oversee the introduction of better varieties during my tenure. I also plan to work in close co-ordination with relevant government institutions through an open communication process. We also hope to address and resolve underlying issues through this cooperation,” noted Pakhali. An experienced player in the sector, the new chairman further noted that improving Pakistan’s packaging methods to meet the international standards also features prominently on his to-do list.
For more information:
Tel: 0092 213 2629051 & 52
Tel: 0092 213 2629051 & 52
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: