Job offersmore »
- Purchasing Specialist Exoten - Netherlands
- Intercompany Key Account Manager Exoten - Netherlands
- Buitendienst Medewerker - Oost Nederland
- Managing Grower - Australia
- Senior Grower - Talbotville, Ontario, Canada
- Operations Manager - Fresh Produce
- Senior Account Manager Retail - Netherlands
- Supply Allocation and Inventory Manager - Fresh Produce, Italy
- Senior Grower - Katunga, Australia
- Key Account Manager - Netherlands
Top 5 - yesterday
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
- OVERVIEW GLOBAL AVOCADO MARKET
- Costa Rica: Government accused of ignoring organic pineapple issue
- Organic food consumption continues to increase in Europe
- California grape grower-shipper publishes first Corporate Social Responsibly Report
- Spain: About 20,000 tonnes of stone fruit damaged by frost in Murcia
Exchange ratesmore »
Stemilt triples production of organic Honeycrisp apples
Stemilt Growers is preparing for its biggest Honeycrisp apple season yet. The Washington State-based company has expanded acreage which will result in more apples and lengthened availability for the highly demanded variety.
Photo courtesy of Stemilt Growers
“Our Honeycrisp acreage has increased drastically over the last few years,” said Stemilt spokeswoman Brianna Shales. Stemilt expects that the apple, which is being harvested now, will be available through early summer 2018.
Stemilt has also nearly tripled its organic Honeycrisp supply in just one year’s time. “Our organic supply is increasing with multiple varieties, however, Honeycrisp has the most growth in a single year,” said Shales.
The company has been growing Honeycrisp for a decade and continues to look for strains with better color and flavor.
Stemilt also has plans for a spring launch of their pilot program for premium Honeycrisp, called Honeyhill.
Publication date: 10/24/2017
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: