Job offersmore »
- Technical Sales Representative Trainee - Ancaster, Ontario
- International Account Manager City Farming - Horticulture LED Solutions
- CEO for a leading Agri-Business working on an international basis
- Greenhouse Operations Lead - Alberta, Canada
- Commercial Head Grower - Newark, NJ (USA)
- IPM & Pollination Specialist (ornamentals) - Western Europe
- Regional Sales Manager - USA
- General Manager Operations - Australia
- International Account manager Horticulture LED Solutions - Netherlands
- Plant Specialist Horticulture Northern Europe
Top 5 - yesterday
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
- Dominican Republic evaluates damage after Hurricane Maria
- Tanimura & Antle launches Artisan Dew Drop cabbage
- India: New packaging technologies for South America
- California company celebrates 10 years of attending PMA’s Fresh Summit
- "We hope the arrival of Spanish lemons will reactivate the market in Europe"
Exchange ratesmore »
Guatemala: Bananas hit by hurricanes donated to charities
Smiles were evident among the residents of several communities in Izabal, after receiving dozens of boxes of bananas from charity representatives.
The donation came from a Chiquita Brand ship that was exporting the product, but could not do so due to the hurricanes that affected the Caribbean region this month.
This situation led to the fruit beginning its maturation process, which was why it could not be distributed in United States' markets.
Company officials indicated that they sent banana boxes to various charities and non-profits, so that the product was not completely wasted.
They added that more boxes of bananas were distributed among neighborhoods of the city of Puerto Barrios, for the population's benefit.
Cristina Donabó, Izabal's delegate from the Secretariat of Social Works of the President's Wife, said that they received a van with 390 boxes of bananas, which were destined for the four projects in Izabal, Chiquimula, Zacapa and El Progreso.
"Among the four programs we are helping this time are Mis Años Dorados, which serves seniors; Hogares Comunitarios, which serves children from 0 to 7 years; Creciendo Seguro, aimed at women entrepreneurs with scarce economic resources, and the Social Service Program, "explained Donabo.
The banana in Guatemala is produced in its majority in Escuintla and Izabal, and is mainly exported to the United States, the United Kingdom, El Salvador and Honduras. The vans remained stranded in Puerto Barrios.
Publication date: 10/2/2017
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: