Job offersmore »
- Product Manager Biostimulants - Westmaas, the Netherlands
- Corporate Grower - Camarillo (CA), USA
- General Manager China - Kunming, China
- Buyer greenhouse crops - Almeria, Spain
- Trucking Fleet Manager - Azerbaijan
- Fresh Produce Traders Required for a Leading Dutch/UK Fresh Produce Business
- Key Accountmanager Horticulture Glass
- Product & Applicatie Specialist Opkweek
- Assistant Grower - Canada
- Experienced International Buyer/Seller Germany
Top 5 - yesterday
- No news was published yesterday.
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
- Amazon: Steeper price cuts at Whole Foods Market
- Year-round produce for Canada’s most northern communities
- BILLA Online Shop: over 50% of the online shopping baskets contain fresh products
- Turkish tomato exports shot up 46% in October
- South Australia agricultural exports have increased due to new airlines
Exchange ratesmore »
Guatemala: Bananas hit by hurricanes donated to charities
Smiles were evident among the residents of several communities in Izabal, after receiving dozens of boxes of bananas from charity representatives.
The donation came from a Chiquita Brand ship that was exporting the product, but could not do so due to the hurricanes that affected the Caribbean region this month.
This situation led to the fruit beginning its maturation process, which was why it could not be distributed in United States' markets.
Company officials indicated that they sent banana boxes to various charities and non-profits, so that the product was not completely wasted.
They added that more boxes of bananas were distributed among neighborhoods of the city of Puerto Barrios, for the population's benefit.
Cristina Donabó, Izabal's delegate from the Secretariat of Social Works of the President's Wife, said that they received a van with 390 boxes of bananas, which were destined for the four projects in Izabal, Chiquimula, Zacapa and El Progreso.
"Among the four programs we are helping this time are Mis Años Dorados, which serves seniors; Hogares Comunitarios, which serves children from 0 to 7 years; Creciendo Seguro, aimed at women entrepreneurs with scarce economic resources, and the Social Service Program, "explained Donabo.
The banana in Guatemala is produced in its majority in Escuintla and Izabal, and is mainly exported to the United States, the United Kingdom, El Salvador and Honduras. The vans remained stranded in Puerto Barrios.
Publication date: 10/2/2017
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: