Job offersmore »
- Hydroponic Crop Manager - Tahiti
- Manager Operational Excellence - El Salvador
- Area Manager North Europe - The Netherlands
- Senior Veredelaar Bloemen
- Consultant - Head of Sales or Greenhouse Owner
- Consultant - Head Grower of Greenhouse
- IPM Manager - Mona (Utah) USA
- Labor Manager - Mona (Utah) USA
- Assistant Farm Manager - Australia
- New Product Development Assistant Manager
Top 5 - yesterday
- No news was published yesterday.
Top 5 - last week
- Kenya overtakes South Africa to become Africa's biggest exporter of avocados
- Italy: 150 million euros confiscated from fruit and veg Mafiosi
- “Drop in Turkish lira is making us a lot more money”
- “We recognize the different specifications our customers are looking for”
- California labor shortage drives container growing for berries
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
"Eastern Europe has been purchasing more each year""The campaign started on 18th July with the Cardinal and Victoria varieties, which were very popular. Now it's the turn of Palieri and Italia in polytunnels. Consumption is excellent at the moment and quality is exceptional. We practically ship all of our produce abroad, except for a few batches destined to domestic retail platforms," explains Pietro Losito (in the photo below) from Azienda Agricola Losito, a company located in the heart of San Giovanni Rotondo (FG) between the Dauni mountains and the Adriatic Sea at the foothills of the Gargano. The company is a partner of APOC Salerno and holds the Uvitaly certification.
"We shipped a lot of produce to France at the beginning of the campaign and now it's the turn of the Netherlands. Over the past week, demand has also been lively from the Czech Republic, Lithuania and Poland."
This year, Pietro is celebrating their 20th anniversary of exporting activities. "Eastern Europe has been purchasing more year after year, especially the Czech Republic."
"The fact that these countries are synonymous with bad quality or low prices is a misconception, as high quality can be found in many Czech supermarkets. I mean, we ship the same produce to the Netherlands and the Czech Republic, only the colour is different. The price is more or less the same as well."
According to Pietro, demand is still rather lively abroad for seeded grapes. "Despite the progress with seedless varieties, demand is not very strong. At least in the countries we export to."
Greece and Spain are the main competitors. "As soon as volumes from these two countries drop, we find our place on the market. This year they weren't such a problem, maybe because of the general lack of produce."
The real problem was drought. "Despite of the fact that we had to take turns to access water resources, our private reservoir and sub-irrigation meant we could manage everything. Now we're hoping there will be no flash floods. If the weather stays like this, we should be able to do well."
The campaign will continue until late November.
Cell.: +39 335 8332555
Azienda Agricola Losito
San Giovanni Rotondo S.S. 89
Rosario Ferrara - director coordinator
Via R. Wagner K1 (P.co Arbostella)
84131 - Salerno
Tel.: +39 (0)89 331758
Cell.: +39 331 2663528
Publication date: 10/2/2017
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: