Job offersmore »
- Account-Manager - Wickede/Ruhr, Germany
- Grower for pot plant production - Tönisvorst - Germany
- Assistant Grower & Growers - Ohio, USA
- Fruit & vegetables Export-Import manager - Avignon or Perpignan, France
- Area Manager North Europe - Netherlands
- Area Sales Manager Oost Europa - Netherlands
- Benelux Sales Manager - Grow lights, Holland
- Productie Manager - Ethiopia
- Head of Sales Europe
- Engineer support in agricultural sciences - Switzerland
Top 5 - yesterday
- NY cherry growers could harvest sweet profits with tall greenhouses
- Greenyard estimates damage of recall at 30 million Euros
- Enormous turnout makes for highly successful Organic Produce Summit
- Looking inside the packing house of a California avocado grower-shipper
- Socially conscious blueberry program links consumers with farmers
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
Funghitaly a point of reference for mushroom cultivation in Sicily"We have thirty years of experience in mushroom cultivation and are a point of reference for eastern Sicily," explained Gianni Gambino from Funghitaly in Augusta, a few km from Syracuse.
"It was hard in the beginning because there was a lot of improvisation in the sector. In those years, we sometimes fell victim to those who recommended useless agronomic techniques or very expensive treatments. Now we know that bed preparation, cleanliness and hygiene are the base. We don't use chemicals but only simple natural remedies such as water vapour."
Vapour nebulisation in a mushroom growing room
The closeness to the Syracuse-Catania motorway means the produce is delivered fresh and quickly to all eastern Sicily. In addition, efficient harvesting and processing make this company a precious reliable partner.
Pleurotus Ostreatus, erroneously called pleus
The company covers 6400 sq m, half of which is dedicated to mushroom cultivation. 95% is of the Pleurotus Ostreatus variety, which is very popular.
The remaining 5% is destined to niche products which are much appreciated by gourmet restaurants. We're talking about poplar (Cyclocybe aegerita), chanterelle and (Cornucopiae) and king oyster mushrooms (Pleurotus Eryngii). The latter is meaty with a depressed slightly velvety cap, while the former are very fragrant.
In 2016, Funghitaly reached a gross saleable production of 120 thousand kg for Pleurotus Ostreatus, sold at an average price of €2.40/kg. The rest reached 8300 kg in total sold at an average price of €7.00/kg.
King oyster mushroom
"This season is looking good, just like last year. Thanks to our great passion and perseverance, we managed to find a place in regional retail, so our produce is distributed all over the island. In the future, we are planning on introducing the more famous portobello mushrooms, which are currently mostly cultivated in the rest of Europe. We are hoping of gaining a market share with this product, which is important and rather profitable."
The Funghitaly staff
Az. Agr. Funghitaly & Co. di G. Gambino
C.da Ogliastro, s.n.
96011 Augusta (SR) ITALY
Tel.: +39 3271994490
Fax: +39 0931950192
Publication date: 9/27/2017
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: