Job offersmore »
- Account-Manager - Wickede/Ruhr, Germany
- Grower for pot plant production - Tönisvorst - Germany
- Assistant Grower & Growers - Ohio, USA
- Fruit & vegetables Export-Import manager - Avignon or Perpignan, France
- Area Manager North Europe - Netherlands
- Area Sales Manager Oost Europa - Netherlands
- Benelux Sales Manager - Grow lights, Holland
- Productie Manager - Ethiopia
- Head of Sales Europe
- Engineer support in agricultural sciences - Switzerland
Top 5 - yesterday
- Second season for Idaho's only commercial blueberry grower
- Greenyard under fire after listeria contamination
- AU: New fully recyclable packaging set to take fresh produce industry by storm
- Enormous turnout makes for highly successful Organic Produce Summit
- “Europe is literally waiting for every lemon”
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
Tesco adds Gem avocados to their shelves
Tesco is now selling a ‘rare’ gold-flecked gourmet avocado which is said to be far smoother and creamier than your average Joe avocado because it remains on the tree for longer than usual.
The GEM avocado, which hails mainly from South Africa, has ‘natural gold flecks on its outer skin’. While we’re pretty disappointed that it’s not actually gold, what it lacks in sparkle it apparently makes up for in other areas as the fruit is slightly sweeter than other varieties and has a thicker skin making it easier to scoop out with a spoon.
Avocado sales recently overtook orange sales for the first time ever - and demand for the creamy fruit doesn’t look like it will slow anytime soon. Tesco said avocado demand increased by more than 30% in the last year alone.
The GEM will be sold perfectly ripened and ready to eat in 200 stores from Monday 25 September. Pack sizes include two extra large GEMs for £3 or two large GEMs for £2.75.
Publication date: 9/27/2017
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: