Job offersmore »
- Managing Grower - Australia
- Senior Grower - Talbotville, Ontario, Canada
- Operations Manager - Fresh Produce
- Senior Account Manager Retail - Netherlands
- Supply Allocation and Inventory Manager - Fresh Produce, Italy
- Senior Grower - Katunga, Australia
- Key Account Manager - Netherlands
- Accountmanager aardappelinkoop België / Frankrijk
- International Retail Manager - Netherlands
- Quality Assurance Team EA Region -Antwerp- Quality Supervisor, Belgium
Top 5 - yesterday
- No news was published yesterday.
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
- OVERVIEW GLOBAL AVOCADO MARKET
- Costa Rica: Government accused of ignoring organic pineapple issue
- Organic food consumption continues to increase in Europe
- California grape grower-shipper publishes first Corporate Social Responsibly Report
- Spain: About 20,000 tonnes of stone fruit damaged by frost in Murcia
Exchange ratesmore »
Tesco adds Gem avocados to their shelves
Tesco is now selling a ‘rare’ gold-flecked gourmet avocado which is said to be far smoother and creamier than your average Joe avocado because it remains on the tree for longer than usual.
The GEM avocado, which hails mainly from South Africa, has ‘natural gold flecks on its outer skin’. While we’re pretty disappointed that it’s not actually gold, what it lacks in sparkle it apparently makes up for in other areas as the fruit is slightly sweeter than other varieties and has a thicker skin making it easier to scoop out with a spoon.
Avocado sales recently overtook orange sales for the first time ever - and demand for the creamy fruit doesn’t look like it will slow anytime soon. Tesco said avocado demand increased by more than 30% in the last year alone.
The GEM will be sold perfectly ripened and ready to eat in 200 stores from Monday 25 September. Pack sizes include two extra large GEMs for £3 or two large GEMs for £2.75.
Publication date: 9/27/2017
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: