Job offersmore »
- Senior Grower - Australia
- General Manager - Australia
- Purchasing Specialist Exoten - Netherlands
- Intercompany Key Account Manager Exoten - Netherlands
- Buitendienst Medewerker - Oost Nederland
- Managing Grower - Australia
- Senior Grower - Talbotville, Ontario, Canada
- Operations Manager - Fresh Produce
- Senior Account Manager Retail - Netherlands
- Supply Allocation and Inventory Manager - Fresh Produce, Italy
Top 5 - yesterday
- No news was published yesterday.
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
- Costa Rica: Government accused of ignoring organic pineapple issue
- Organic food consumption continues to increase in Europe
- Russian fruit and vegetable imports partially recovered
- Spain: About 20,000 tonnes of stone fruit damaged by frost in Murcia
- Research into potential of Feijoas to become Australia's next 'superfood'
Exchange ratesmore »
Pakistan refuses tomato imports from India, despite shortage
The federal government in Pakistan has decided not to relax the conditions to import tomatoes from India as the shortage in Punjab and other parts worsens. However, efforts have begun to import it from Iran and Afghanistan instead of India.
A supply of 14 trucks of tomatoes from Kabul arrived in Lahore on Monday and 17 trucks will arrive today (Tuesday). Federal Minister for National Food Security and Research Sikandar Hayat Khan Bosan categorically denied the importation of tomatoes from India.
Indian vegetables exporters have been bringing ample supply of tomatoes to Amritsar in order to export them to Pakistan once the quarantine laws relax. Rajdeep Upal, an exporter from India, said almost 300 to 350 trucks of tomatoes were arriving in Amritsar which is much higher than the demand.
The vegetable traders were expecting the relaxation and when it happens everyone wants to cross the consignment quickly from the border, he said. ‘We have contacted our counterparts in Lahore about the expected resumption of trade of the perishables," he said, however, they informed us that the ministry concerned has decided not to allow imports of tomatoes from India which is discouraging for us, he added.
Publication date: 9/26/2017
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: