Job offersmore »
- Hydroponic Crop Manager - Tahiti
- Manager Operational Excellence - El Salvador
- Area Manager North Europe - The Netherlands
- Senior Veredelaar Bloemen
- Consultant - Head of Sales or Greenhouse Owner
- Consultant - Head Grower of Greenhouse
- IPM Manager - Mona (Utah) USA
- Labor Manager - Mona (Utah) USA
- Assistant Farm Manager - Australia
- New Product Development Assistant Manager
Top 5 - yesterday
- No news was published yesterday.
Top 5 - last week
- Kenya overtakes South Africa to become Africa's biggest exporter of avocados
- Italy: 150 million euros confiscated from fruit and veg Mafiosi
- “Drop in Turkish lira is making us a lot more money”
- “We recognize the different specifications our customers are looking for”
- California labor shortage drives container growing for berries
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
Henk van den Berg, LP Kranenburg: "The potatoes still need be harvested"
Potato market remains uncertainThe prospects in the potato market are still uncertain. "All the potatoes still need to be harvested. If everything goes well, there will be no shortage of potatoes. The question is how sellable they will be. A portion will be grubbed up this week, but poor weather conditions are expected for later in the week," says Henk van den Berg of Dutch potato wholesaler, LP Kranenburg.
"We rely heavily on exports, which are directed mainly to Africa at the moment. The storms in the Caribbean have made it impossible for ships to be unloaded everywhere. Very distant destinations are not yet in the market. The Eastern Bloc will certainly need potatoes. The question is if one country, like Poland, for instance, can fulfill this demand. We are now seeing the negative consequences of sharing knowledge with them. This does not make the situation any easier", he continues.
"All in all, the mood is cautious. The demand is not big, and you can participate because you have dry potatoes. You hear of offshore prices of EUR 4 to 9. This does not, however, line up with the current low futures market. All the potatoes still need to be harvested. Everyone is talking about a good harvest. This might still be possible for some", concludes the potato trader.
For more information:
Henk van den Berg
2153 KH Nieuw-Vennep
Tel: +31 252 620060
Publication date: 9/26/2017
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: