Job offersmore »
- Corporate Grower - Camarillo (CA), USA
- General Manager China - Kunming, China
- Buyer greenhouse crops - Almeria, Spain
- Trucking Fleet Manager - Azerbaijan
- Fresh Produce Traders Required for a Leading Dutch/UK Fresh Produce Business
- Key Accountmanager Horticulture Glass
- Product & Applicatie Specialist Opkweek
- Assistant Grower - Canada
- Experienced International Buyer/Seller Germany
- Project and Sales Manager - Russia/Caucasian Region
Top 5 - yesterday
- No news was published yesterday.
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
- Amazon: Steeper price cuts at Whole Foods Market
- Year-round produce for Canada’s most northern communities
- BILLA Online Shop: over 50% of the online shopping baskets contain fresh products
- Turkish tomato exports shot up 46% in October
- South Australia agricultural exports have increased due to new airlines
Exchange ratesmore »
France: Difficult start to carrot and leek season
Ware carrot stocks from countries in the North have affected sales of early carrots. The temperatures in May and June were also more favourable to summer vegetable consumption than to leeks and carrots. “Prices have not stopped decreasing since the start of the season, they are lower than the prices recorded the previous season and very much below the 2012-2016 average (-32% in July).”
On the 19th June, carrots were even declared to be in crisis until the end of August. Whilst prices remained 26% below the five year average this month, they were on average 0.6% higher than July 2017 and 1% higher than August 2016.
Leek prices at the start of the season were below those recorded in 2016-2017 and the 2012-2016 average. The Ministry of Agriculture explained that the warm spring weather accelerated plant development and the volume was hard to sell, despite an increase in exports, due to demand for summer vegetables.
Leeks were also declared in crisis in July. The offer in August decreased at the end of the early leek season. Awaiting commercialisation of the autumn harvest, prices have strengthened but remain 7% below the 2012-2016 average and 29% below the prices recorded in August 2016.
Publication date: 9/26/2017
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: