Job offersmore »
- Department Chair and Professor of Human Ecology - Davis (CA) USA
- Factory Manager Assistant - Huizhou, China
- Internal Salesperson - Netherlands
- Crop Manager - Northern France
- Farm General Manager - Egypt
- Grower (cucumbers) - Australia
- Projectleider Export - Maasdijk, Nederland
- Sales representative - Eastern PA, DE, MD, VA & WV, USA
- Sales representative - Michigan, USA
- Assistant Grower - Delta (BC), Canada
Top 5 - yesterday
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
France: Difficult start to carrot and leek season
Ware carrot stocks from countries in the North have affected sales of early carrots. The temperatures in May and June were also more favourable to summer vegetable consumption than to leeks and carrots. “Prices have not stopped decreasing since the start of the season, they are lower than the prices recorded the previous season and very much below the 2012-2016 average (-32% in July).”
On the 19th June, carrots were even declared to be in crisis until the end of August. Whilst prices remained 26% below the five year average this month, they were on average 0.6% higher than July 2017 and 1% higher than August 2016.
Leek prices at the start of the season were below those recorded in 2016-2017 and the 2012-2016 average. The Ministry of Agriculture explained that the warm spring weather accelerated plant development and the volume was hard to sell, despite an increase in exports, due to demand for summer vegetables.
Leeks were also declared in crisis in July. The offer in August decreased at the end of the early leek season. Awaiting commercialisation of the autumn harvest, prices have strengthened but remain 7% below the 2012-2016 average and 29% below the prices recorded in August 2016.
Publication date: 9/26/2017
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: