Job offersmore »
- Technical Sales Representative Trainee - Ancaster, Ontario
- International Account Manager City Farming - Horticulture LED Solutions
- CEO for a leading Agri-Business working on an international basis
- Greenhouse Operations Lead - Alberta, Canada
- Commercial Head Grower - Newark, NJ (USA)
- IPM & Pollination Specialist (ornamentals) - Western Europe
- Regional Sales Manager - USA
- General Manager Operations - Australia
- International Account manager Horticulture LED Solutions - Netherlands
- Plant Specialist Horticulture Northern Europe
Top 5 - yesterday
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
- Dominican Republic evaluates damage after Hurricane Maria
- India: New packaging technologies for South America
- Tanimura & Antle launches Artisan Dew Drop cabbage
- California company celebrates 10 years of attending PMA’s Fresh Summit
- "We hope the arrival of Spanish lemons will reactivate the market in Europe"
Exchange ratesmore »
China: Impressive profits from 'akebia'
How long would you persist to make a dream come true? It took Yang Xuanzheng 10 years, during which he carried precious memories of his childhood and dreamed about growing a fruit, that would help to save and share this joy forever. Finally, he succeeded. The fruit has a beautiful name - akebia.
The fruit looks like an eggplant and tastes like banana. Originally it was a wild fruit, but 10 years of the farmer's efforts made it possible to be grown commercially. With the support and guidance of the Xi'an Fruit Industry Technology Popularization Center, last year he finally managed to grow 4 akebias of the finest quality. After that, he got 2 hectares of land and last year's fruits successfully became this year's new harvest.
Akebia belongs to an expensive category of fruits. At the moment it costs 50 yuans per kilo. One hectare of land can produce 1000 kilos and, at its most productive, 2,500 kilos. The profits from an even larger plantation could be incredible.
Publication date: 9/26/2017
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: