Job offersmore »
- Senior Grower - Australia
- General Manager - Australia
- Purchasing Specialist Exoten - Netherlands
- Intercompany Key Account Manager Exoten - Netherlands
- Buitendienst Medewerker - Oost Nederland
- Managing Grower - Australia
- Senior Grower - Talbotville, Ontario, Canada
- Operations Manager - Fresh Produce
- Senior Account Manager Retail - Netherlands
- Supply Allocation and Inventory Manager - Fresh Produce, Italy
Top 5 - yesterday
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
Melania Trump carries on Michelle Obama's vegetable garden
The first lady, more at home in Manhattan than among rows of crops, hosted local schoolchildren at the White House on Friday to harvest and replant the vegetable garden Michelle Obama rooted in the South Lawn — carrying on a symbolic piece of the Obamas' food policy legacy.
Many in food circles had been concerned that Melania Trump and her fast-food-loving husband would not carry on Michelle Obama's expansive kitchen garden, which has become an internationally recognised symbol of local food and the Obama administration's push to promote healthy eating.
"I'm a big believer in healthy eating because it reflects on your mind and your body," said Melania Trump, surrounded by about a dozen children in the garden on Friday afternoon. "I encourage you to continue to eat a lot of vegetables and fruits, so you grow up healthy and take care of yourself."
After brief remarks, the first lady, dressed in a red plaid shirt, black pants and sneakers, joined the children in harvesting lettuce and kale, peas, radishes, Swiss chard and mustard. They also planted cabbage, cauliflower, turnips, carrots, spinach and kale, the White House said.
Publication date: 9/25/2017
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: