Job offersmore »
- Engineer support in agricultural sciences - Switzerland
- Farm Manager - Perth, Western Australia
- Expansion manager
- Horticultural Specialist - Emeryville (CA) USA
- Sales Manager Europe Division
- Grower - Delta, (OH) USA
- Export Sales - Perth, Australia
- Production Manager Indonesia - Magelang/Central Java, Indonesia
- Director ASIA Research Station Operations - Bangkok, Thailand
- Spécialiste Technique et commercial Biocontrôle pour l’Ouest de la France
Top 5 - yesterday
- No news was published yesterday.
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
Vegetable prices nearly double in Pakistan
Owing to the halting of tomatoes and onions’ supply from India, prices in Pakistan have nearly doubled in the federal capital and are becoming too expensive for average consumers.
According to wholesalers, the prices have increased due to a heavy reduction in the supply of tomatoes from India. This difference between demand and supply has led to an increase of prices. The price of tomatoes in Islamabad has reached up to Rs 200 per kg, which were being sold at Rs 80-100 per kg few days back.
A meeting between Pakistani and Indian businessmen is scheduled to be held at the border regarding tomato supplies. Efforts will be made to chalk out a joint strategy during the meeting to restore trade between the two countries.
A local trader Ishtiaq Ahmed said the shortage of tomatoes was due to the ending of the season in Quetta and Kabul. He said that only 2-3 trucks carrying tomatoes are arriving in Islamabad fruit and vegetable market while 10-12 containers of tomatoes are being exported from Kabul.
He said there was demand for 35-40 trucks on a daily basis to meet demand in the twin cities, Islamabad and Rawalpindi. He hoped the situation would improve after a few weeks when tomatoes from Sindh’s districts including Thatha and Badin would reach to the market.
1 RS = 0.015 USD
Publication date: 9/25/2017
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: