Job offersmore »
- Product Manager Biostimulants - Westmaas, the Netherlands
- Corporate Grower - Camarillo (CA), USA
- General Manager China - Kunming, China
- Buyer greenhouse crops - Almeria, Spain
- Trucking Fleet Manager - Azerbaijan
- Fresh Produce Traders Required for a Leading Dutch/UK Fresh Produce Business
- Key Accountmanager Horticulture Glass
- Product & Applicatie Specialist Opkweek
- Assistant Grower - Canada
- Experienced International Buyer/Seller Germany
Top 5 - yesterday
- Winter storm Benji dusts southern US and Mexico with rare snow
- Excellent EU grape market – if only the grapes can get there
- Challenges and opportunities for Colombia's banana sector
- California growers set out to fully assess wildfire damage
- Morocco: Strawberry acreage grows from 10 to 3,660 hectares in 27 years
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
- Amazon: Steeper price cuts at Whole Foods Market
- Year-round produce for Canada’s most northern communities
- BILLA Online Shop: over 50% of the online shopping baskets contain fresh products
- Turkish tomato exports shot up 46% in October
- South Australia agricultural exports have increased due to new airlines
Exchange ratesmore »
Mercadona to open its first supermarkets in northern Portugal
Mercadona continues to outline its strategy in Portugal. The Valencian company has announced that it will start building its first distribution centre in the country next year, which will be located in the northern city of Póvoa de Varzim, about 35 kilometres from Porto.
These facilities will make it possible to supply the supermarkets in the north of Portugal while keeping a close communication with the distribution centre that the Valencian firm is opening in the northwest of Spain, in Villadangos del Páramo, Leon.
The new distribution centre will consist of two warehouses, a 12,000 square metre and a 5,000 square metre one, which will serve for the storage of dry, perishable, refrigerated and frozen products, as reported by Efe.
The construction works will start in the first quarter of 2018 and the facilities are expected to start operating during the first half of 2019.
Also in 2019, Mercadona will open its first four supermarkets in Portugal; one in Gondomar, another in Matosinhos and two in Vila Nova de Gaia, also in the surrounding areas of Porto.
Publication date: 9/25/2017
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: