Job offersmore »
- Commercial Head Grower - Newark, NJ (USA)
- IPM & Pollination Specialist (ornamentals) - Western Europe
- Regional Sales Manager - USA
- General Manager Operations - Australia
- International Account manager Horticulture LED Solutions - Netherlands
- Plant Specialist Horticulture Northern Europe
- Agronomist consultant - Europe/USA
- International Sales Manager - -Europe/USA
- Sales person
- Director of International Sales and Marketing - USA, Miami (FL)
Top 5 - yesterday
- "We are building a global brand, it's not just about selling apples"
- Accu-Label customizes labeling solutions and introduces new tray labeler
- “An auction is a good way to sell large volumes in a short time”
- "Strong growth experienced in the Dutch and import season"
- “Water shortage Western Cape will have negative impact on availability of grapes”
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
Zweer van Aalsburg, FruitMasters:
"Dutch apple harvest even lower than expected"Most of the pear farmers finished harvesting last week. The apple growers are busy picking their second round of Elstar, Red Prince, Jonagold and Kanzi. Time to find out how things are going from Zweer van Aalsburg, Commercial Manager at FruitMasters. "The volume of apples is even lower than we expected. There is still a small crop on the trees. It all depends on what is in cold storage."
The autumn-like weather experienced last week, caused trees to be blown over at various farms. These vary from single trees to rows of them. "Here and there, this caused quite a lot of damage. In the bigger picture it is not significant, but when it affects your business, it is, of course, a disaster", says Zweer. "Fortunately, the present weather conditions are good for picking. Also, fortunately, we had no hail damage and the quality of fruit from irrigated orchards is good. The weather expected in the coming week, with warm days and cold nights, is good for the colouring of the fruit. There is a limited volume available for the industry."
In general, supply and demand is, according to the commercial manager, well balanced. "There is not a lot of pressure on the market yet. For example, the Cox (75'ers) price is at the EUR 1,15 to 1,47 level. The price of Boskoop and good quality Elstars is at about EUR 1 for this round, with the second picking's prices still at between EUR 0,80 and 1.
"I expect a stable apple market over the next two weeks. When the second harvest is in storage, I expect the price to climb slightly. There is already a good demand for apples on the local market, with coarse apples being exported."
"I also expect a stable pear market. Gieser Wildemans are selling at the EUR 0,90 to 1,20 level. The Comice variety's price is from EUR 1,15 euro for the good quality white pears, and up to EUR 0,95 for the lesser quality ones. Conference prices are between EUR 0,65 and 0,80 for the 65'ers and EUR 0,55 - 0,60 for the 55'ers. The pear harvest was good and the irrigated pears developed a coarse texture, as usual. In contrast to Belgium, for example, you will see large sizes. Conference pears are being sent everywhere. The demand from far-off destinations has begun."
For more information:
Zweer van Aalsburg
PO Box 222
4190 CE Geldermalsen
Tel: +31 (0)345 578 808
Publication date: 9/22/2017
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: