Job offersmore »
- Hydroponic Crop Manager - Tahiti
- Manager Operational Excellence - El Salvador
- Area Manager North Europe - The Netherlands
- Senior Veredelaar Bloemen
- Consultant - Head of Sales or Greenhouse Owner
- Consultant - Head Grower of Greenhouse
- IPM Manager - Mona (Utah) USA
- Labor Manager - Mona (Utah) USA
- Assistant Farm Manager - Australia
- New Product Development Assistant Manager
Top 5 - yesterday
- No news was published yesterday.
Top 5 - last week
- Kenya overtakes South Africa to become Africa's biggest exporter of avocados
- Italy: 150 million euros confiscated from fruit and veg Mafiosi
- “Drop in Turkish lira is making us a lot more money”
- “We recognize the different specifications our customers are looking for”
- California labor shortage drives container growing for berries
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
Italy: Special kids pears for the German market
In order to promote fruit consumption and, specifically in this case, the consumption of pears by children, the Ceccarelli Giulio company, owner of the Julius brand, has launched the Kinder Birnen project. They are small-sized Abate pears perfect for children. Sales director Ettore Ceccarelli will be their proponent for German retailers.
The idea is simple yet useful: children normally have kids menus, so why should they eat big pears just like adults? "These are fruits with a high Brix level, so children like them and adults do as well. German retailers welcomed our idea with enthusiasm and the pears will be available soon."
Ceccarelli also analysed the segment situation. "The warm season brought the harvesting of summer pears forward by ten days. I'm talking about the Carmen and Santa Maria varieties. There was an overlap with Forelle and Abate pears from overseas, so that's why the market is rather heavy at the moment."
Expectations are excellent for Williams, in terms of quality, colour and quantity. Brix level is high and our new cold storage facility will make it possible to prolong sales until February."
"As for Abate pears, I think production will be slightly lower than usual. Some talk about +12%, but I don't think they're fully considering the hail and bad weather that affected many areas. Of one thing I'm certain: average grades are smaller than other years. As regards quality, I believe that, in Italy, we should stagger the harvesting of Abate so as to have fruit with a higher Brix level."
Ceccarelli is a private company but, as stressed by Ettore, "sometimes we work more as a cooperative than cooperatives. I still go to producers in person rather than sending a letter. What really counts is the relationship with people, that's what makes the difference."
Ceccarelli Giulio Srl
Via della Frasca, 7
47020 Longiano (FC)
Tel.: (+39) 0547 53055
Fax: (+39) 0547 59352
Publication date: 9/22/2017
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: