Job offersmore »
- Account Manager, Southern, Protected Cropping - Melbourne, Australia
- Coördinator Biologische Gewasbescherming - Berkel en Rodenrijs, Nederland
- Head Grower, Retractable Roof Shadehouse - Wedgecarrup, Australia
- National Nursery Manager - Melbourne, Australia
- Lighting Applications Specialist (Horticulture) - Beamsville, Ontario, Canada
- Gärtner für den konventionellen Gemüsebau - Austria
- Expert vegetable farm manager/master grower seeking for his next position
- Horticulture Advisor - The Hague, the Netherlands
- Growing Manager - Victoria, Australia
- Service Engineer - Almeria, Spain
Top 5 - yesterday
- No news was published yesterday.
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
Italy: Special kids pears for the German market
In order to promote fruit consumption and, specifically in this case, the consumption of pears by children, the Ceccarelli Giulio company, owner of the Julius brand, has launched the Kinder Birnen project. They are small-sized Abate pears perfect for children. Sales director Ettore Ceccarelli will be their proponent for German retailers.
The idea is simple yet useful: children normally have kids menus, so why should they eat big pears just like adults? "These are fruits with a high Brix level, so children like them and adults do as well. German retailers welcomed our idea with enthusiasm and the pears will be available soon."
Ceccarelli also analysed the segment situation. "The warm season brought the harvesting of summer pears forward by ten days. I'm talking about the Carmen and Santa Maria varieties. There was an overlap with Forelle and Abate pears from overseas, so that's why the market is rather heavy at the moment."
Expectations are excellent for Williams, in terms of quality, colour and quantity. Brix level is high and our new cold storage facility will make it possible to prolong sales until February."
"As for Abate pears, I think production will be slightly lower than usual. Some talk about +12%, but I don't think they're fully considering the hail and bad weather that affected many areas. Of one thing I'm certain: average grades are smaller than other years. As regards quality, I believe that, in Italy, we should stagger the harvesting of Abate so as to have fruit with a higher Brix level."
Ceccarelli is a private company but, as stressed by Ettore, "sometimes we work more as a cooperative than cooperatives. I still go to producers in person rather than sending a letter. What really counts is the relationship with people, that's what makes the difference."
Ceccarelli Giulio Srl
Via della Frasca, 7
47020 Longiano (FC)
Tel.: (+39) 0547 53055
Fax: (+39) 0547 59352
Publication date: 9/22/2017
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: