Job offersmore »
- Senior Grower - Australia
- General Manager - Australia
- Purchasing Specialist Exoten - Netherlands
- Intercompany Key Account Manager Exoten - Netherlands
- Buitendienst Medewerker - Oost Nederland
- Managing Grower - Australia
- Senior Grower - Talbotville, Ontario, Canada
- Operations Manager - Fresh Produce
- Senior Account Manager Retail - Netherlands
- Supply Allocation and Inventory Manager - Fresh Produce, Italy
Top 5 - yesterday
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
Italy: Pumpkin production up 170% in LombardyOver the past ten years, Lombardy has more than doubled its pumpkin crops, going from 260 hectares in 2006 to 700 hectares in 2017 (of the 2000 hectares on a national level).
Mantua and Cremona are the provinces with the most hectares - almost 396 and 92 respectively. They are followed by Pavia with 136, Brescia with 40, Lodi with 16, Milan with 15, Varese with almost 3 and Bergamo and Como with 2 each. Over the last three years, Cremona tripled its crops, while Mantua and Pavia have more than doubled them.
"35% of the domestic production is harvested in Lombardy, but pumpkins are cultivated also in Emilia-Romagna, Veneto, Campania, Lazio, Liguria, Sicily and Tuscany. Harvesting is carried out between mid-August and mid-September depending on the variety." The most popular varieties are Delica (small and green), Bertina (grey and larger), Americana (yellow, rather round and with evident ribs) and Violina (oblong). There are also many ornamental varieties of all shapes and sizes.
Prices hover between €1 and €2 per kg, while producers get paid between 30 and 60 eurocents per kg.
Publication date: 9/21/2017
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: