Job offersmore »
- Growing Manager - Skye, Victoria
- Assistant Professor of Urban Horticultural Crops - United States (CA)
- Senior Inkoper - Maasdijk, Nederland
- Product Manager Biostimulants - Westmaas, the Netherlands
- Corporate Grower - Camarillo (CA), USA
- General Manager China - Kunming, China
- Buyer greenhouse crops - Almeria, Spain
- Trucking Fleet Manager - Azerbaijan
- Fresh Produce Traders Required for a Leading Dutch/UK Fresh Produce Business
- Key Accountmanager Horticulture Glass
Top 5 - yesterday
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
Bengal, India looks to export vegetables to EU and US
After success with export to the Middle East, the Bengal Government has now decided to move ahead and expand the market for its vegetables, to include Europe and USA.
The Food Processing and Horticulture Department had started exporting vegetables to the Middle East, which includes the Gulf countries, in August 2016. There has been a big success with respect to lady’s fingers, beans, chillies and ridge gourds, said All India Trinamool Congress in a release.
The best of these is grown in Bankura district, and that too, organically, that is, without the use of any chemical fertilizers. More areas in the western part of Bengal have been identified for growing vegetables with high potential for export.
“Whatever help in the form of irrigation and the requirement of organic fertilizers is required would be provided by the State Government,” AITC said.
Every day, about 2.5 tonnes are exported over flights to the Middle East, but even that is not enough to satisfy the demand. Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee led party is saying that she is trying her best to get airlines to start direct flights between Bengal and Europe, and when that happens, vegetables would be exported to Europe.
Publication date: 9/21/2017
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: