Job offersmore »
- Technical Sales Representative Trainee - Ancaster, Ontario
- International Account Manager City Farming - Horticulture LED Solutions
- CEO for a leading Agri-Business working on an international basis
- Greenhouse Operations Lead - Alberta, Canada
- Commercial Head Grower - Newark, NJ (USA)
- IPM & Pollination Specialist (ornamentals) - Western Europe
- Regional Sales Manager - USA
- General Manager Operations - Australia
- International Account manager Horticulture LED Solutions - Netherlands
- Plant Specialist Horticulture Northern Europe
Top 5 - yesterday
- No news was published yesterday.
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
Fruit exporters in Pakistan call for ban on exotic fruit imports
Fruit exporters in Pakistan have called for ban on imports of non essential luxury items, including exotic fruits in order to stop the growing gap between imports and exports.
Ahmad Jawad, Regional Chairman on Horticulture Exports, Federation of Pakistan Chambers of Commerce & Industry (FPCCI) on Tuesday said during past few years imported fruits like apples, oranges and some other vegetables have penetrated in the markets.
This, he said was despite the fact that Pakistan itself was blessed with its own fruits and vegetables.
"Yet we witness that imported fruits are sold at much higher rates as many of the consumer are attracted to their cosmetic look," commented the FPCCI official.
In reply to a question, he acknowledged that import of apple and other fruits has supplemented the limited availability of local varieties of the same fruits. However, in the given situation, the FPCCI official said there was dire need for investment in the fruit sector, right from production to packing levels.
Publication date: 9/20/2017
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: