Job offersmore »
- International Retail Manager - Netherlands
- Quality Assurance Team EA Region -Antwerp- Quality Supervisor, Belgium
- Manager Trucking Company - Azerbaijan
- Junior Productie Manager - Kenia
- (junior) Agronomist China
- Department Chair and Professor of Human Ecology - Davis (CA) USA
- Factory Manager Assistant - Huizhou, China
- Internal Salesperson - Netherlands
- Crop Manager - Northern France
- Farm General Manager - Egypt
Top 5 - yesterday
- No news was published yesterday.
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
Fruit exporters in Pakistan call for ban on exotic fruit imports
Fruit exporters in Pakistan have called for ban on imports of non essential luxury items, including exotic fruits in order to stop the growing gap between imports and exports.
Ahmad Jawad, Regional Chairman on Horticulture Exports, Federation of Pakistan Chambers of Commerce & Industry (FPCCI) on Tuesday said during past few years imported fruits like apples, oranges and some other vegetables have penetrated in the markets.
This, he said was despite the fact that Pakistan itself was blessed with its own fruits and vegetables.
"Yet we witness that imported fruits are sold at much higher rates as many of the consumer are attracted to their cosmetic look," commented the FPCCI official.
In reply to a question, he acknowledged that import of apple and other fruits has supplemented the limited availability of local varieties of the same fruits. However, in the given situation, the FPCCI official said there was dire need for investment in the fruit sector, right from production to packing levels.
Publication date: 9/20/2017
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: