Job offersmore »
- Technical Sales Representative Trainee - Ancaster, Ontario
- International Account Manager City Farming - Horticulture LED Solutions
- CEO for a leading Agri-Business working on an international basis
- Greenhouse Operations Lead - Alberta, Canada
- Commercial Head Grower - Newark, NJ (USA)
- IPM & Pollination Specialist (ornamentals) - Western Europe
- Regional Sales Manager - USA
- General Manager Operations - Australia
- International Account manager Horticulture LED Solutions - Netherlands
- Plant Specialist Horticulture Northern Europe
Top 5 - yesterday
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
- Dominican Republic evaluates damage after Hurricane Maria
- Tanimura & Antle launches Artisan Dew Drop cabbage
- India: New packaging technologies for South America
- California company celebrates 10 years of attending PMA’s Fresh Summit
- "We hope the arrival of Spanish lemons will reactivate the market in Europe"
Exchange ratesmore »
Oneonta Starr Ranch Growers expands organic marketing staff
To keep pace with its expanding product line and volume increases, Wenatchee, WA-based Oneonta Starr Ranch Growers has expanded its staff in two key areas.
Joining the company as Organic Category Manager earlier in the season, Dan Davis brings a strong background in organic Washington tree fruit farming. And coming on during the spring bloom period, new National Marketing Representative Brent Shammo adds his expertise in retail marketing, produce analysis and procurement.
Davis is a Washington native, born and raised in Yakima. He earned an Associate degree from Yakima Valley Community College and holds a Bachelor of Science degree in Business Management from Western Governors University-Washington.
“I worked through my youth in various ag jobs, picking, thinning, pruning and other orchard jobs,” Davis said. His career was launched in 1999 at Allan Brothers in Naches, WA, where he held the positions of quality control manager, shipping manager and ultimately general manager. In 2008, he became production coordinator/grower representative for CF Fresh/Viva Tierra Organic, where he oversaw organic-specific programs in several commodities.
Davis joined OSRG in March 2017, and he said he welcomes the challenge of the job. “The most exciting part of this industry is playing in an ever-changing landscape,” he said. “Specifically, within the organic part of the industry, the terrain is changing at a rapid pace, and our ability to see where we are heading as part of that change is a wonderful challenge. I’m very excited about the organic partnerships we’re cultivating at Oneonta right now. Working with our independent growers and Gilbert Orchards, we’ve got massive potential to be a leader in the organic industry.”
Brent Shammo, who joined Oneonta on May 1, hails from the small farming community of Haskins, OH, where he learned the value of family farming first-hand. “We farmed row crops and had a farm full of animals,” Shammo said. After graduating high school, Shammo attended Bowling Green State University and earned a Bachelors degree in Business Administration and Marketing.
“I immediately started working for Kroger and was with that company for 12 years in the positions of store manager, advertising and produce analysis along with national procurement, and I have bought almost every commodity, including potatoes, onions, eastern veg, berries, apples, cherries and pears.”
Shammo said he especially likes “the people aspect of the business.” He said, “Nothing is more interesting than sitting down with a grower and learning how difficult it is to grow the food that we eat.” He added, “Getting the grower to understand a retail perspective and a retailer to understand the growers helps everyone to succeed together, and that’s one of my main focuses.”
Oneonta Starr Ranch Growers
Publication date: 9/20/2017
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: