Job offersmore »
- Technical Sales Representative Trainee - Ancaster, Ontario
- International Account Manager City Farming - Horticulture LED Solutions
- CEO for a leading Agri-Business working on an international basis
- Greenhouse Operations Lead - Alberta, Canada
- Commercial Head Grower - Newark, NJ (USA)
- IPM & Pollination Specialist (ornamentals) - Western Europe
- Regional Sales Manager - USA
- General Manager Operations - Australia
- International Account manager Horticulture LED Solutions - Netherlands
- Plant Specialist Horticulture Northern Europe
Top 5 - yesterday
Top 5 - last week
- "We are building a global brand, it's not just about selling apples"
- "Our Kissabel apples go beyond offering a new variety"
- “An auction is a good way to sell large volumes in a short time”
- Accu-Label customizes labeling solutions and introduces new tray labeler
- “Our Edipeel product keeps ripe avocados ripe for twice as long”
Top 5 - last month
- Dominican Republic evaluates damage after Hurricane Maria
- India: New packaging technologies for South America
- California company celebrates 10 years of attending PMA’s Fresh Summit
- "We hope the arrival of Spanish lemons will reactivate the market in Europe"
- Peru: French company is interested in dried organic produce
Exchange ratesmore »
New Zealand kiwifruit pioneer Mike Muller passes away
Kiwifruit pioneer Mike Muller has passed away at the age of 72. He was a respected leader in the kiwifruit industry who will be remembered for his uncanny ability to connect with growers and promote opportunities that would help shape the industry we know today.
About 500 friends, family and kiwifruit growers from as far afield as Motueka farewelled Mr Muller last Saturday and paid tribute to him.
Horticultural consultant Peter Mulligan said Mike made a significant contribution to the development of the industry in many spheres.
''We worked together as a two-man team on a number of projects, contracted to Zespri, over the past 20 years. These projects have included Taste Japan, Taste Zespri, Introduction of Hort16A, Improving Hayward Productivity and the New Variety Programme.''
''Our role was primarily technical transfer, providing kiwifruit growers with information that they could use to improve orchard productivity and fruit quality thereby increasing their financial returns, or in Mike's language "increase the left-over money".
His clear-thinking approach and close observation of the vines made a great contribution to the projects, he said.
''He liked nothing better than to "nut out a problem". Industry problems like Psa presented challenges to find solutions. Mike in typical fashion would, as the discussion unfolded, plot the best way forward based on a series of logical, well thought out arguments. These solutions benefited his clients and the industry generally.''
Zespri chief executive Lain Jager also paid credit to Mike and said he had networks around the country and was at the forefront of many developments in an industry career that spanned 36 years.
Publication date: 9/18/2017
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: