Job offersmore »
- Technical Sales Representative Trainee - Ancaster, Ontario
- International Account Manager City Farming - Horticulture LED Solutions
- CEO for a leading Agri-Business working on an international basis
- Greenhouse Operations Lead - Alberta, Canada
- Commercial Head Grower - Newark, NJ (USA)
- IPM & Pollination Specialist (ornamentals) - Western Europe
- Regional Sales Manager - USA
- General Manager Operations - Australia
- International Account manager Horticulture LED Solutions - Netherlands
- Plant Specialist Horticulture Northern Europe
Top 5 - yesterday
- No news was published yesterday.
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
China: Yantai ginger prices up by 33% in two weeks
The price of ginger from Yantai, Shandong province, is growing rapidly. According to Yantai City Price Bureau, which monitors the agricultural markets of six city districts, on September 12, the ginger price had increased to 12.84 yuan per kilo, which is 24.18% higher than last week and 113.89% higher than last year. In just half a month, the price increased by 32.92%.
There are three main reasons why the price is rising. Firstly, there's a lack of ginger on the market. Secondly, cultivation area was reduced. And thirdly, farmers are holding back on sales in anticipation of even higher prices. In the case of ginger, price is the main factor that determines market demand and supply. There will be a short period of time, when prices will remain high, but in October-November a new harvest of ginger will arrive at the markets and it might lower the price. Since ginger is basically just a condiment, the market doesn't need a big amount of it and this price spike doesn't really affect customers.
Publication date: 9/18/2017
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: