Job offersmore »
- Nursery Systems Manager - Australia
- Assistant Professor of Landscape Architecture - Davis (CA), USA
- Technical Sales Representative Trainee - Ancaster, Ontario
- International Account Manager City Farming - Horticulture LED Solutions
- CEO for a leading Agri-Business working on an international basis
- Greenhouse Operations Lead - Alberta, Canada
- Commercial Head Grower - Newark, NJ (USA)
- IPM & Pollination Specialist (ornamentals) - Western Europe
- Regional Sales Manager - USA
- General Manager Operations - Australia
Top 5 - yesterday
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
Kenyan avocado exports struggle with ongoing South African ban
Kenyan exporters are facing lean times as trade disputes with its neighbours put pressure on their exports and incomes.
The trade wrangles, which put to question the countries' commitment to regional integration, have left traders contemplating alternative markets for their produce.
This comes as Kenya is facing trade disputes with South Africa over avocado exports. South Africa banned Kenya's avocados in 2010. The market restriction was imposed after Kenya's avocados were found to be infested with fruit fly
Despite talks in May indicating that the ban would be lifted, South Africa has refused to reopen the market. Since then, Kenya has implemented a pest management plan including creating a pest-free area to reduce the number of insects attacking the avocado crop. It is estimated that before the ban was imposed, the avocado trade with South Africa was earning Kenyan farmers $1.2 million per annum.
Publication date: 9/14/2017
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: