Job offersmore »
- Hydroponic Crop Manager - Tahiti
- Manager Operational Excellence - El Salvador
- Area Manager North Europe - The Netherlands
- Senior Veredelaar Bloemen
- Consultant - Head of Sales or Greenhouse Owner
- Consultant - Head Grower of Greenhouse
- IPM Manager - Mona (Utah) USA
- Labor Manager - Mona (Utah) USA
- Assistant Farm Manager - Australia
- New Product Development Assistant Manager
Top 5 - yesterday
- No news was published yesterday.
Top 5 - last week
- Kenya overtakes South Africa to become Africa's biggest exporter of avocados
- Italy: 150 million euros confiscated from fruit and veg Mafiosi
- California labor shortage drives container growing for berries
- “Drop in Turkish lira is making us a lot more money”
- “We recognize the different specifications our customers are looking for”
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
Kenyan avocado exports struggle with ongoing South African ban
Kenyan exporters are facing lean times as trade disputes with its neighbours put pressure on their exports and incomes.
The trade wrangles, which put to question the countries' commitment to regional integration, have left traders contemplating alternative markets for their produce.
This comes as Kenya is facing trade disputes with South Africa over avocado exports. South Africa banned Kenya's avocados in 2010. The market restriction was imposed after Kenya's avocados were found to be infested with fruit fly
Despite talks in May indicating that the ban would be lifted, South Africa has refused to reopen the market. Since then, Kenya has implemented a pest management plan including creating a pest-free area to reduce the number of insects attacking the avocado crop. It is estimated that before the ban was imposed, the avocado trade with South Africa was earning Kenyan farmers $1.2 million per annum.
Publication date: 9/14/2017
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: