Job offersmore »
- Account-Manager - Wickede/Ruhr, Germany
- Grower for pot plant production - Tönisvorst - Germany
- Assistant Grower & Growers - Ohio, USA
- Fruit & vegetables Export-Import manager - Avignon or Perpignan, France
- Area Manager North Europe - Netherlands
- Area Sales Manager Oost Europa - Netherlands
- Benelux Sales Manager - Grow lights, Holland
- Productie Manager - Ethiopia
- Head of Sales Europe
- Engineer support in agricultural sciences - Switzerland
Top 5 - yesterday
- NY cherry growers could harvest sweet profits with tall greenhouses
- Enormous turnout makes for highly successful Organic Produce Summit
- Greenyard gives first estimate of financial impact of recent recall
- Looking inside the packing house of a California avocado grower-shipper
- Socially conscious blueberry program links consumers with farmers
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
Kenya's farmers to benefit from direct flights to US
Kenyan farmers stand to benefit following permission by the United Stated Department of Transportation allowing Kenya Airways to fly directly into America.
The Fresh Produce Exporters Association of Kenya (FPEAK) CEO, Hosea Machuki, says Kenyan avocados, for instance, will have a wide market to explore, but this is subject to the approval by the US government.
Currently, data by Kenya National Bureau of Statistics indicates that Kenya’s exports to the US are about Sh35.3 billion with 18 per cent of this being fruits and nuts, 8 per cent to coffee and 1.4 per cent to tea and flowers.
The value of exports of fresh horticultural produce increased from US$816 million (Sh83.9 billion) in 2014 to US$877 million (Sh90.1 billion) in 2015.
“This was attributed to better unit prices for vegetables and higher volumes of fruits exported,” Machuki said.
The value of vegetables exported increased by 11.2 per cent from US$182 million (18.7 billion) in 2014 to US$203 million (Sh20.8 billion) in 2015. Additionally, Kenya’s earnings from horticulture exports rose by 20 per cent to Sh77.81 billion in the first nine months of 2016 compared to 2015.
Publication date: 9/13/2017
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: