Job offersmore »
- Hydroponic Crop Manager - Tahiti
- Manager Operational Excellence - El Salvador
- Area Manager North Europe - The Netherlands
- Senior Veredelaar Bloemen
- Consultant - Head of Sales or Greenhouse Owner
- Consultant - Head Grower of Greenhouse
- IPM Manager - Mona (Utah) USA
- Labor Manager - Mona (Utah) USA
- Assistant Farm Manager - Australia
- New Product Development Assistant Manager
Top 5 - yesterday
- No news was published yesterday.
Top 5 - last week
- Kenya overtakes South Africa to become Africa's biggest exporter of avocados
- Italy: 150 million euros confiscated from fruit and veg Mafiosi
- California labor shortage drives container growing for berries
- “Drop in Turkish lira is making us a lot more money”
- “We recognize the different specifications our customers are looking for”
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
Italy: High quality and low yields for Patata della Sila IGP
Summer was particularly hot and dry on the Sila plateau, after very little rain during winter and spring as well.
This caused quite a few problems for producers. On the one hand, water resources were scarce, as rivers and lakes supplied insufficient water to meet plant demands, with temperatures often exceeding 35°C. On the other hand, businesses had to pay a lot of money for extra irrigation.
Consorzio Produttori Patate Associati-PPAS, which manages over 90% of the produce sold under the Patata della Sila IGP brand, estimated a drop in production of between 15 and 20% compared to last year. This in turn means quotations should be in line with or slightly higher than last year.
"As usual, the new season will start around mid-September. Quality is extraordinary, especially since the warm dry weather reduced the need for pesticides and dry matter content is above average. However, yields are lower due to the weather."
For further information:
Albino Carli - sales director
Consorzio Produttori Patate Associati Soc. Coop. Agr.
Via del Turismo 30 - Fraz. Camigliatello Silano
87058 Spezzano della Sila (CS)
Tel.: +39 (0)984 1636301
Fax: +39 (0)984 570568
Publication date: 9/13/2017
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: