Job offersmore »
- Account Manager, Southern, Protected Cropping - Melbourne, Australia
- Coördinator Biologische Gewasbescherming - Berkel en Rodenrijs, Nederland
- Head Grower, Retractable Roof Shadehouse - Wedgecarrup, Australia
- National Nursery Manager - Melbourne, Australia
- Lighting Applications Specialist (Horticulture) - Beamsville, Ontario, Canada
- Gärtner für den konventionellen Gemüsebau - Austria
- Expert vegetable farm manager/master grower seeking for his next position
- Horticulture Advisor - The Hague, the Netherlands
- Growing Manager - Victoria, Australia
- Service Engineer - Almeria, Spain
Top 5 - yesterday
- AU: Some WA Strawberry growers forecast average production despite TPP
- Germany: Substantial price increases for Spanish imported vegetables
- Opening of apple season in Eastern Free State, South Africa
- "Hopefully 2018 will be a better year for avocados than 2017"
- Ukraine: Blueberry demand still growing faster than supplies
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
Italy: High quality and low yields for Patata della Sila IGP
Summer was particularly hot and dry on the Sila plateau, after very little rain during winter and spring as well.
This caused quite a few problems for producers. On the one hand, water resources were scarce, as rivers and lakes supplied insufficient water to meet plant demands, with temperatures often exceeding 35°C. On the other hand, businesses had to pay a lot of money for extra irrigation.
Consorzio Produttori Patate Associati-PPAS, which manages over 90% of the produce sold under the Patata della Sila IGP brand, estimated a drop in production of between 15 and 20% compared to last year. This in turn means quotations should be in line with or slightly higher than last year.
"As usual, the new season will start around mid-September. Quality is extraordinary, especially since the warm dry weather reduced the need for pesticides and dry matter content is above average. However, yields are lower due to the weather."
For further information:
Albino Carli - sales director
Consorzio Produttori Patate Associati Soc. Coop. Agr.
Via del Turismo 30 - Fraz. Camigliatello Silano
87058 Spezzano della Sila (CS)
Tel.: +39 (0)984 1636301
Fax: +39 (0)984 570568
Publication date: 9/13/2017
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: