Job offersmore »
- Junior Productie Manager - Kenia
- Quality Assurance Quality Control - Canada
- Senior growers/agronomists - China
- Account Manager Foodservice en Groothandel DACH - Netherlands
- Business Development Manager - California
- Head of Sales North America - Sacramento (CA) USA
- Import Assistant and Operations Assistant - Netherlands
- Farms Director UK - South East
- Agronomist to work abroad
- Export salesperson GERMANY - Barcelona, Spain
Top 5 - yesterday
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
Italy: Summer to forget for green beans
The high temperatures registered from 15th July onward have drastically hindered the productivity of green beans. When thermometers reached and even exceeded 40°C, plants lost their flowers and gross saleable production dropped drastically. We are talking about east Emilia-Romagna, but the same applies to other production areas.
An operator explains that production remained minimal between 15th and 31st August. Setting could only be salvaged through constant monitoring and irrigation.
"Things are now getting back to normal and prices are good at around €0.70-1/kg. However, yields per hectare remain below expectations."
Germination was hindered by drought
The higher prices are only paid for the best batches that are almost perfect, but quantities are limited. The market reawakened after 15th August and is now rather lively. Wholesale markets are very receptive, but retailers are also requiring good packaged produce.
Publication date: 9/12/2017
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: