Job offersmore »
- Key Accountmanager Horticulture Glass
- Product & Applicatie Specialist Opkweek
- Assistant Grower - Canada
- Experienced International Buyer/Seller Germany
- Project and Sales Manager - Russia/Caucasian Region
- Quality Coordinator EU in Supply Chain Management Dep.
- Regional Sales Director - United States
- Territory Sales Position - US
- International Tomato Grower - Worldwide
- Grower Manager - US
Top 5 - yesterday
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
Spain: Start of Basol mandarin campaign
The harvest of the first Basol mandarins of the season has already started, even though the weather conditions have not been ideal.
"This year, we expect a difficult campaign. It has been very hot this summer; there has been a poor fruit setting and we have very little fruit in the trees, and this will take a toll on prices," explains Christian Martínez, of Frulonsa Calidades. "After an initial assessment, I believe that this year there will be about 20% less production than last year in our area," he added.
These conditions, in combination with the scarcity of water in the region of Murcia, will also make it hard to find quality fruit. "There are already some batches of mandarins with no colour inside and which are dry due to the lack of water and high temperatures. At the moment, things aren't looking so good," comments the representative of Frulonsa Calidades.
To make a comparison: "Last year we managed to sell mandarins at origin for between 0.75 and 0.85 Euro per kilo, but this year, prices will range between 0.55 and 0.65 Euro. There has up to a 40% drop compared to last year," concludes Martínez.
For more information:
Tel. +34 677 39 99 53
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: