Job offersmore »
- Account-Manager - Wickede/Ruhr, Germany
- Grower for pot plant production - Tönisvorst - Germany
- Assistant Grower & Growers - Ohio, USA
- Fruit & vegetables Export-Import manager - Avignon or Perpignan, France
- Area Manager North Europe - Netherlands
- Area Sales Manager Oost Europa - Netherlands
- Benelux Sales Manager - Grow lights, Holland
- Productie Manager - Ethiopia
- Head of Sales Europe
- Engineer support in agricultural sciences - Switzerland
Top 5 - yesterday
- Enormous turnout makes for highly successful Organic Produce Summit
- Greenyard gives first estimate of financial impact of recent recall
- NY cherry growers could harvest sweet profits with tall greenhouses
- Looking inside the packing house of a California avocado grower-shipper
- Tsunami hits Mallorca and Menorca
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
Italy: Industry tomato campaign almost over"Ripening occurred in just a few weeks, thus shortening the campaign. While our tomato season generally lasts 8-9 weeks, it only lasted 6 this year. This was due to the high temperatures in July and August," explains Arturo Santini, owner of La Cesenate. Yields were good, while quality was sometimes affected by the heat.
At times, processing companies had to deal with quantities that exceeded plant capacity. From an agronomic point of view, the lack of rain fortunately prevented the spreading of fungi, but not everything went smoothly.
Brix levels were affected as stressed plants probably did not accumulate the sugar hoped for.
"We should reach around 45 thousand tons of processed tomatoes, making us a medium-small company. Tomatoes represent 40% of our turnover, the rest is made up of other fruit and vegetable-based products. 14 thousand tons of produce are organic, while the remaining 31 thousand are zero-residue."
La Cesenate exports over 80% of its tomatoes to Europe and Middle and Far East. In Italy, its products are sold under the Alce Nero brand.
La Cesenate Conserve Alimentari
Via Cervese 364,
47521 Cesena - Italy
Tel.: (+39) 0547 631150
Publication date: 9/11/2017
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: