Job offersmore »
- National Nursery Manager - Melbourne, Australia
- Lighting Applications Specialist (Horticulture) - Beamsville, Ontario, Canada
- Gärtner für den konventionellen Gemüsebau - Austria
- Expert vegetable farm manager/master grower seeking for his next position
- Horticulture Advisor - The Hague, the Netherlands
- Growing Manager - Victoria, Australia
- Service Engineer - Almeria, Spain
- Horticultural Consultant - Sydney, Australia
- Technical Assistant - East Malling (Kent), UK
- Greenhouse Controls Technician - Australia
Top 5 - yesterday
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
Exchange ratesmore »
Strawberry consumption slowed after 15 August
"People have been eating strawberries since spring""The strawberry market is 'not good' at the moment." Eddy Corijn of Demargo BVBA, described the situation in those two words. "After 15 August, the consumption of strawberries always declines, but it seems to be even more extreme this year. The prices should have boosted exports, but this was not the case. We supply mostly to France, but I have heard that other countries are also asking for less strawberries."
According to the trader, price is a difficult issue. "Prices started dropping more than two weeks ago. This, however, had very little positive effect on exports. Greenhouse strawberries are selling at between EUR 85 cents and 1,20 per 500 g. Eur 50 to 80 cents are being given for open field strawberries. Maybe it is too expensive too soon. People are just coming back from holiday and are counting pennies in this expensive period. People have also been eating strawberries since spring. They want something else after such a long strawberry season."
Belgium gets between 120 and 140 tonnes of strawberries per dag. "That is not exceptionally high, but it is too much for the market. Customers are buying less. You are lucky if you sell a full pallet." It is difficult to predict what is going to happen in the coming weeks, says Eddy. "Hopefully it will get better. It is unpleasant to have to do business like this."
Publication date: 9/6/2017
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector: